- 1.0: November 5, 2019, initial release
There is an arbitrary command injection vulnerability that affects multiple Veritas products. This vulnerability allows an unauthenicated remote attacker to execute arbitrary commands as root.
The following Veritas products are known to be affected. Click the link below to see the product specific security advisory for each product:
No other Veritas products are believed to be affected by this issue.
This issue could result in:
- The loss of data managed by the product.
- The loss of confidentiality of data managed by the product.
- The loss of data on other systems for which the product has stored credentials. The product encrypts these credentials, however an attacker would have access to the keys needed to decrypt them.
- The installation of malware or crypto-mining software on the host system.
Other undesirable outcomes are also possible.
If you have any questions about any information in this security advisory please contact Veritas technical support.
As part of normal best practices, Veritas recommends that customers:
- Restrict access of administration or management systems to privileged users.
- Restrict remote access, if required, to trusted/authorized systems only.
- Keep all operating systems and applications updated with the latest vendor patches.
- Follow a multi-layered approach to security. Run both firewall and anti-malware applications, at a minimum, to provide multiple points of detection and protection to both inbound and outbound threats.
- Deploy network and host-based intrusion detection systems to monitor network traffic for signs of anomalous or suspicious activity. This may aid in detection of attacks or malicious activity related to exploitation of latent vulnerabilities
THE SECURITY ADVISORY IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND ALL EXPRESS OR IMPLIED CONDITIONS, REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES, INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT, ARE DISCLAIMED, EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT THAT SUCH DISCLAIMERS ARE HELD TO BE LEGALLY INVALID. Veritas Technologies LLC SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES IN CONNECTION WITH THE FURNISHING, PERFORMANCE, OR USE OF THIS DOCUMENTATION. THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS DOCUMENTATION IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE.
Veritas Technologies LLC
2625 Augustine Drive
Santa Clara, CA 95054
© 2019 Veritas Technologies LLC. All rights reserved. Veritas, the Veritas Logo, and NetBackup are trademarks or registered trademarks of Veritas Technologies LLC or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.