1.0: April 3, 2017: Initial release
1.1: April 10, 2017: Added CVE ID
DLL hijacking vulnerability in Veritas System Recovery Patch Installer
DLL hijacking vulnerability in Veritas System Recovery patch installer
CVE ID: CVE-2017-7444
CVSS v3 Base Score: 7.0 (AV:L/AC:H/PR:N/UI:R/S:U/C:H/I:H/A:H)
To successfully exploit this vulnerability an attacker must convince a user to download or copy a malicious DLL into the same directory from which the Veritas System Recovery patch installer is executed before it is executed. If an attacker was able to do that, and the user was running with administrator privileges, then the attacker would have full control of the user’s system.
- Veritas System Recovery 16 and earlier
If you have any questions about any information in this security advisory please contact Veritas technical support.
Veritas would like to thank Himanshu Mehta for reporting this vulnerability.
As part of normal best practices, Veritas recommends that customers:
- Restrict access of administration or management systems to privileged users.
- Restrict remote access, if required, to trusted/authorized systems only.
- Keep all operating systems and applications updated with the latest vendor patches.
- Follow a multi-layered approach to security. Run both firewall and anti-malware applications, at a minimum, to provide multiple points of detection and protection to both inbound and outbound threats.
- Deploy network and host-based intrusion detection systems to monitor network traffic for signs of anomalous or suspicious activity. This may aid in detection of attacks or malicious activity related to exploitation of latent vulnerabilities
THE SECURITY ADVISORY IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND ALL EXPRESS OR IMPLIED CONDITIONS, REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES, INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT, ARE DISCLAIMED, EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT THAT SUCH DISCLAIMERS ARE HELD TO BE LEGALLY INVALID. Veritas Technologies LLC SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES IN CONNECTION WITH THE FURNISHING, PERFORMANCE, OR USE OF THIS DOCUMENTATION. THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS DOCUMENTATION IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE.
Veritas Technologies LLC
500 East Middlefield Road
Mountain View, CA 94043
© 2017 Veritas Technologies LLC. All rights reserved. Veritas, the Veritas Logo, and NetBackup are trademarks or registered trademarks of Veritas Technologies LLC or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.