Backup Exec RALUS Agent installer on Red Hat Linux 8.x and Oracle Linux 8.x displays a pre-requisite warning of libnsl package not found.
Backup Exec RALUS Agent installer displays a pre-requisite warning when installing Backup Exec agent on Linux servers that it is unable to find the libnsl package on the machine.
On Red Hat Linux 8.x and Oracle Linux 8.x systems, the packaging of library libnsl has been discontinued in systems installed using default settings. libnsl is the network services library which is needed to support network services for an application and is by default not installed on some Linux systems. Backup Exec Agent for Linux depends on this library to run properly.
Perform the following steps on the Linux machine:
1) Check if file libnsl.so.1 exists in folder /lib64 or /lib
2) If libnsl.so.1 file is not found, check if there are any other files named libnsl.so.<number> in these folders.
3) If there is any other file named libnsl.so.<number>, then run the following soft link command :
ln -sf libnsl.so.<number> libnsl.so.1
This command will create a soft link in the folder with file named libnsl.so.1.
4) If there are no files with libnsl.so.<number> name are present it means that libnsl package is not installed and should be manually installed on the machine.
5) Download the libnsl package valid for your Operating System or mount the Linux ISO on server to install the libnsl package on the server.
6) Once the libnsl package is installed on Linux server perform steps 1 to 3 again to make sure that libnsl.so.1 file exists.
7) Go to /opt/VRTSralus/bin and run command “./VRTSralus.init start”, Backup Exec Agent for Linux would now start up successfully.
Veritas Technologies LLC has acknowledged that the above-mentioned issue is present in the current version(s) listed under the Product(s) Section of this article. Veritas Technologies LLC is committed to product quality and satisfied customers.
This issue is currently under investigation by Veritas Technologies LLC. Pending the outcome of the investigation, this issue may be resolved by way of a patch or hotfix in current or future revisions of the software. However, this particular issue is not currently scheduled for any release. If you feel this issue has a direct business impact for you and your continued use of the product, please contact your Veritas Sales representative or the Veritas Sales group to discuss these concerns. For information on how to contact Veritas Sales, please see http://www.veritas.com.
Please be sure to refer back to this document periodically as any changes to the status of the issue will be reflected here.
Was this content helpful?
Rating submitted. Please provide additional feedback (optional):