How to reinstall Microsoft Message Queues (MSMQ) on a system running Enterprise Vault
- Confirm that the Message Queues are empty and determine the MSMQ storage location (See NOTE 1 below)
Log in as the Vault Service Account (VSA)
a. Launch Server Manager
b. Expand Features
c. Determine the location of the MSMQ files. Right-click, Properties of the icon Message Queuing. Choose the Storage tab and make note of the storage locations. Default is c:\windows\system32\msmq\.
d. Expand Message Queuing
e. Expand Private Queues - check to make sure if these are empty. If not, then make sure you understand the ramifications of clearing the queues before doing so.
- Stop the Enterprise Vault services.
- Stop the Message Queuing service.
- Rename the old message queue directory to msmq_old
- Uninstall the message queue
From Server Manger > Features > Remove Features
- Reinstall the message queues
Add Features - Click the root check box for Message Queuing
- The Message queue service should automatically start, but if it is not started, start it.
- Confirm the newly created MSMQ directory exists.
- Restart the Enterprise Vault services
a. The missing message queues will be recreated in Private Queues when the Tasks begin to process.
- Delete the msmq_old directory created earlier to reclaim disk space.
No reboot should be necessary.
NOTE: Since Journal mailboxes continually have messages to process, allowing the queues to empty cannot be realized with the Journal archiving task or EV services stopped. To allow the journal queues to empty, the following needs to be performed:
- Create a new user mailbox on the Exchange Mailbox server.
- Redirect all Exchange journaling from the existing mailbox to the new mailbox.
Do not add the new journal mailbox as a Journal target in Enterprise Vault
- Once Exchange starts redirecting the messages to the new journal mailbox, the existing EV journal target will complete its archiving, thus allowing the message queues to empty.
- Once Message Queuing has been reinstalled on the EV server, you may either add the new mailbox as a journal target, or move all of the messages from the new mailbox to the previous mailbox that was listed as an EV journal target.
Related Knowledge Base Articles
Was this content helpful?
Rating submitted. Please provide additional feedback (optional):