Please enter search query. Search <product_name> all support & community content...
Last Published: 2018-04-30
Ratings: 2 3
Product(s): System Recovery
ProblemVeritas System Recovery (VSR) backups failing due to VSS writer errors.
Error MessageE4F3000F: Unexpected VSS writer error. Check the application event log for writer specific error.
SolutionUsing the Microsoft DiskShadow utility ( https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772172.aspx), we can check the stability of the VSS writers independently from VSR.
Example test using DiskShadow:
- Run command prompt as administrator
- Type diskshadow and press enter (to enable logging to a file, use the /l switch. Example command: diskshadow /l c:\diskshadowlog.txt)
- Type set verbose on and press enter
- Type set context volatile and press enter
- Type add volume c: and press enter
- Type begin backup and press enter
- Type create and press enter
For step #5, add each volume that you are backing up using VSR. If your VSR backup includes volumes C/D/E, ensure all 3 volumes are included when running DiskShadow. This ensures the test with DiskShadow is equal to your VSR backup (enables you to compare the results between VSR and DiskShadow).
- When the test is complete, type end backup and press enter
- Type exit and press enter
Note 1: Always use the VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS command to check the state of the VSS writers.
Note 2: If any VSS writer is not stable at the time of backup (stable means that State = 'Stable' and Last error = 'No error'), the backup job will fail. Below shows an example of a stable VSS writer using the above VSSADMIN command:
Was this content helpful?
Rating submitted. Please provide additional feedback (optional):