How to disable Removable Storage Service for troubleshooting purposes.
If unknown devices or other hardware issues prevent the proper display of a changer device in the Backup Exec (tm) Device Management tab on a Windows 2000 or Windows 2003 computer, it may be necessary to disable the Removable Storage Service on the Windows 2000 or Windows 2003 computer in Computer Management for troubleshooting purposes.
1. Enter Computer Management by right-clicking My Computer and selecting Manage.
2. Expand Services and Applications, then highlight Services.
3. Right-click on the Removable Storage Service and click Stop (Figure 1)
4. Double-click Removable Storage and set Startup type to Disabled and click OK (Figure 2)
5. Exit Computer Management.