How to modify the Global Atomic Broadcast (GAB) timeout in Storage Foundation for Windows with High Availability 4.x and 5.x versions.
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event ID: 7034
The VERITAS High availability engine service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).
In versions prior to SFW - HA 4.x VCS will log messages in the engine log indicating that there are issues. One such error is listed below:
VCS:10485:EXCESSIVE DELAY BETWEEN SUCCESSIVE CALLS TO GAB HEARTBEAT (X SECONDS)
In Storage Foundation for Windows with High Availability 4.x and 5.x versions, there will be following entries in the application log:
Event Type: Information, Event Source: Gab, Event ID: 18
1. Right-click My Computer and select Properties.
2. On the System Properties window, select the Advanced tab.
3. On the Advanced tab, click the Environment Variables button.
4. On the Environment Variables window, locate System Variables and select New. (Figure 1)
5. On the New System Variable window, enter VCS_GAB_TIMEOUT for the Variable Name.
6. For the Variable Value, enter a number that is higher than the default of 15000* (15 seconds), then click OK. (Figure 2)
7. On the Environment Variables window, click OK.
8. On the System Properties window, click OK.
9. Reboot the servers.
*This VCS_GAB_TIMEOUT value may take some experimentation as it is entirely dependent upon the system load.