How to automatically enable users for Enterprise Vault
To make Enterprise Vault enable archiving for new mailboxes automatically
- In the left pane of the Administration Console, expand the vault site hierarchy until the name of the vault site is visible.
- Expand the vault site and then expand Targets.
- Expand Exchange.
- Expand the required domain.
- Click Provisioning Group. If no provisioning groups are listed create a new one: a Right-click Provisioning Group and, on the shortcut menu, click New and then Provisioning Group. Work through the New Provisioning Group wizard.
- In the right pane, double-click the provisioning group that will contain the mailboxes that will be enabled automatically.
- In the Provisioning Group Properties, click the Archiving Defaults tab.
- Select Automatically enable mailboxes.
- If you want to use a specific vault store for the new mailbox archives:
A. Click Override the inherited Vault Store and click Change to pick the vault store to use.
B. If you do not specify a vault store, the vault store that will be used is the one defined in the Enterprise Vault server properties. If no vault store is defined there, then the vault store defined in the Exchange Server properties is used.
- If you want to use a specific Indexing Service when archiving from the new mailboxes, click Override the inherited Indexing Service and click Change to pick the Indexing Service to use. If you do not specify an Indexing Service, the Indexing Service that will be used is the one defined in the Enterprise Vault server properties. If no Indexing Service is defined there, then the Indexing Service defined in the Exchange Server properties is used.
- Select default retention category to use for items stored in the new archives. Users can select other retention categories to use from the list of those available.
- Select OK.
To enable archiving for mailboxes manually
- On the Tools menu, click Enable Mailboxes. The Enable Mailbox wizard opens.
- Work through the wizard.
- It is possible to manually disable a new mailbox. To manually disable a mailbox, stop Enterprise Vault from automatically enabling archiving for the mailbox. The mailbox will need to be enable at some point, in order for Enterprise Vault to archive items from it.
- When a mailbox is enabled, Enterprise Vault automatically selects one of the open Indexing Locations to use to store the indexing data associated with that mailbox's archive. Before enabling mailboxes, make sure the open Indexing Locations are the locations needed. Enterprise Vault does not provide a way to change a mailbox's Indexing Location after enabling archiving for the mailbox.
- An existing archive can be selected to use for a mailbox that is being enabled. This is useful when a mailbox has been migrated to a different Exchange Server in the same Enterprise Vault site and needs to be enabled for archiving to the same archive as before.
- The users archive [vault store] will not be created until after archiving has run.