Is Backup Exec System Recovery (BESR) compatible with Symantec Endpoint Encryption (SEE)?
- BESR can successfully create full and incremental backups of Symantec Endpoint Encryption Full Disk Edition (SEE-FD) volumes in Windows.
- BESR cannot create backups of Symantec Endpoint Encryption Removable Storage Edition (SEE-RS) volumes in Windows. Please see the following technote for more information regarding the SEE-RS limitation http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH88197 .
- BESR can restore SEE-FD volumes to the same computer from the Symantec Recovery Disk (SRD) as long as the Restore master boot record is checked. Select Edit to get to "Edit Target Drive and Options". If the option is not checked, the volume will not boot correctly. Leaving the default options will result in a restored recovery point that will not boot. After a restore from the SRD, the volume must be re-encrypted. It is not automatically encrypted upon restore.
- BESR cannot restore SEE volumes to different computers. The BESR Restore Anyware feature is not compatible with Symantec Endpoint Encryption.
- BESR cannot create cold backups of SEE volumes. Creating "cold" backups from the Symantec Recovery Disk is not supported. BESR will report that the volume type is "unknown" and will attempt to create a backup without Smart Sector Technology. The backup will not restore properly.