DOCUMENTATION: How to configure NetBackup for Exchange 2007 backup running Clustered Continuous Replication (CCR)
Veritas NetBackup 6.5.2 Documentation Updates, Page 224
Veritas NetBackup 6.5.3 for Microsoft Exchange Server Administrator's Guide, Page 27
Veritas NetBackup 6.5.4 for Microsoft Exchange Server Administrator's Guide, Page 26
Modification Type: Supplement.
Below are the steps required to perform Clustered Continuous Replication (CCR) backup using NetBackup:
On all nodes in the Exchange 2007 cluster
1. Install NetBackup Client software. Master Server, Media Server and the Exchange nodes must be patched to at least version 6.5.2.
2. A service account with the following rights is required by NetBackup to perform CCR backup:
- Domain Administrator
- Local Administrator on all nodes
- Exchange Organization Administrators (to double-confirm this item, open Exchange Management Shell and run: get-exchangeadministrator)
3. Remote Streaming Backup has to be enabled to back up clustered Exchange Server with Exchange 2007 SP1 or later. To enable it, add or modify the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\ParametersSystem\Enable Remote Streaming Backup
NOTE: 1 = remote backup enabled, 0 = remote backup disabled.
Warning: Incorrect use of the Windows registry editor may prevent the operating system from functioning properly. Great care should be taken when making changes to a Windows registry. Registry modifications should only be carried-out by persons experienced in the use of the registry editor application. It is recommended that a complete backup of the registry and workstation be made prior to making any registry changes
Restart the Microsoft Exchange Information Store to take effect. Please refer to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998870.aspx for exact command and syntax.
On NetBackup Master Server
1. Confirm that you have valid licenses to perform CCR backup. Open NetBackup Administration Console and go to Help | License Keys... | "MS Exchange extension" and "Snapshot client" must be listed and active.
2. Observe the following when creating the backup policy:
- On the Clients tab, add only the Exchange 2007 virtual mailbox server name
- Perform snapshot backups option must be checked
- Under Snapshot Client Options, select VSS as the snapshot method. Leave the configuration parameters to default.
3. Still on NetBackup Administration Console, go to the Host Properties | Clients | double click the Exchange virtual mailbox server | Windows Client | Exchange | Under Exchange 2007 replication backup (LCR or CCR), select the preferred behavior:
- Backup the passive copy and if not available backup the active copy (recommended)
- Backup the passive copy only (job fails if not available)
- Backup the active copy only (job fails if not available)