ProblemLicense key installation hangs with Event ID "Hanging Application Setup.exe, version 12.0.1364.0, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000."
Error MessageHanging application Setup.exe, version 12.0.1364.0, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000
This issue may occur if the Backup Exec Service Account (BESA) does not have the required file/folder and/or registry key rights.
- If Backup Exec was installed using another account and/or currently logged on with another account while entering the license keys.
- Attempting to run the wizard and install licenses through a terminal session instead of locally
To resolve do the following:
Open Windows Explorer:
- Navigate to C:/Program Files/Symantec/Backup Exec (if default path is used), right click and select properties.
- Under Security tab, add the BESA and give it full rights.
Open the Registry editor:
- Navigate to HKLM/Software/Symantec, add the BESA account and give full rights.
- When completed, restart the Backup Exec Services and start the process to enter the license again. Adding/entering the license key should now complete successfully.
Warning: Incorrect use of the Windows registry editor may prevent the operating system from functioning properly. Great care should be taken when making changes to a Windows registry. Registry modifications should only be carried-out by persons experienced in the use of the registry editor application. It is recommended that a complete backup of the registry and workstation be made prior to making any registry changes.