Backup job fails with the following error message.
Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Drive Backup of Error E7D1001F: Unable to write to file.
Error EBAB03F1: The specified network name is no longer available.
Error E7D10046: Unable to set file size.
On occasion, backup jobs may fail when using Symantec System Recovery (SSR) or Backup Exec System Recovery (BESR) in an environment also running Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP), the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM), or other 3rd party antivirus solutions. The error "EBAB03F1: The specified network name is no longer available" is typically due to the antivirus blocking communications causing a Delayed Write Failure. The backup failures are usually at a random percentage during the job. In addition to antivirus, any firewall application can also block traffic causing job failures to occur.
- Ensure network issues are resolved http://www.veritas.com/docs/000089800
- Use NetMon and Wireshark to determine if there is packet loss, firewall blocking, etc.
- Open the System Log in the Windows Event Viewer and look for Delayed Write Failures.
Event Type: Information
Event Source: Application Popup
Event Category: None
Event ID: 26
Application popup: Windows -Delayed Write Failed : Windows was unable to save all the data for the file \<file name>. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.
- If a Delayed Write Failure occurs, open the Application Log in the Windows Event Viewer and verify the time the backup job failed occurred after the Delayed Write Failure.
- Stop the Symantec Endpoint Protection services on the client / server and backup destination then rerun backup job.
- Add the server being backed up to the Excluded Hosts List in the Intrusion Prevention Policy for Symantec Endpoint Protection:
- Temporarily disable the Network Threat Protection
- Create a Firewall Exception in SEP
Allow Local/Trusted Application C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\Agent\VProSvc.exe
Allow Local/Trusted Application C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
- Disable any firewall application.