How to drop the existing Backup Exec Database and reload from base (11D/12.0/12.5/2010/2010R2/2010R3/2012/2014)
Before you proceed, do not forget to backup the existing database ie. the entire Data directory from C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data .
In case the backup exec database is hosted on a different sql instance other than the default instance the reload from base activity will affect the data files stored under that instance. In this scenario the data files under the Data folder of the Backup Exec`s installation directory will not be changed. Ensure a backup those sql data files before running a recover database activity.
In scenarios where backup exec`s database is hosted on a sql server instance where othere database are also attached recover database activity will restart of the sql instance service and it may result in sql database users getting disconnected from the database.
Note: Since the SQL database is new, Backup Exec logon accounts, jobs, media sets, backup-to-disk folders and other settings will have to be created/configured again.
1. Open BEUtility.exe (X:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec)
2. In the Symantec Backup Exec dialog box, select Yes to continue
3. Expand Known Computers and then All Media Server
4. Right-click your media server and select Recover Database from the pop-up menu
5. In the Recover Database dialog box, select the database instance desired to be reloaded. Next select Drop existing database and reload from base and click OK
6. In the pop-up window, select Yes to continue with the drop and reload
7. The Operations Progress dialog box will appear indicating the progress of re-loading the database
8. Once completed, click Close and exit out of BEUtility
9. Open the Backup Exec Console and confirm all information and settings have been cleared
NOTE: For Backup Exec 2010, 2012 and 2014 the screen looks different but the concept is the same.