Backup Exec Device and Media Service fails to start with error 0xe0008144 and Event ID 33152 is logged in Event Viewer showing Adamm Database Event: Open Database Connection Failed!.
Attempt to start Device and Media Service fails with error 0xe0008144 as shown in Figure 1.
Following Event is seen in the Event Viewer:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Backup Exec
Event Category: (65535)
Event ID: 33152
Adamm Database Event: Open Database Connection Failed!
Error = ERROR_DATABASE_DOES_NOT_EXIST
Server = "ServerName"
Instance = "BKUPEXEC"
Database = "BEDB"
Connection String = "DRIVER=SQL Server ; SERVER=ServerName\BKUPEXEC ; DATABASE=BEDB ; App=BEWS PVL"
The Backup Exec Device and Media Service service could not connect to the database specified. Make sure that the specified database is running, and then try starting the service again.
To resolve the issue perform the following steps:
1. Run UDL Test on the Backup Exec Instance as per below document. Ensure that it is successful before attempting the next steps.
2. Go to Administrative tools and Select Data Source (ODBC)
A. select System DSN tab
B. click on add
C. verify the SQL Native Client and SQL Server driver are showing.
D. If the SQL server driver is missing run an MDAC repair.
3. Run a repair Install of MDAC 2.8 as per below document
4. If this is a Standalone Media server, make sure MMS is not selected in Installed Options. Run the Install wizard to confirm. If present and this is not a MMS, remove the option.
5. If MDAC Repair does not fix the issue and if Operating System on the Media server is Windows 2003 Standard, enterprise 32bit or 64bit with Service pack2, then re-apply Service Pack 2 and Re-start the server.