ProblemVIAS - Veritas Installation Assessment Services (formerly known as SF Prep Utility) has been renamed to Installation and Upgrade
Veritas Installation Assessment Service (VIAS) has been renamed to Installation and Upgrade and is now available at https://vos.symantec.com
For more information, see https://vos.symantec.com/help
The information below is for the previous version and is no longer current.
The Veritas Installation Assessment Services (formerly known as SF Prep Utility) is a web-based configuration tool for Storage Foundation products which is designed to increase the efficiency of the installation and upgrade process for all UNIX based versions of Veritas Storage Foundation 5.0 products (see Detailed Report below for Supported Products). VOSLabs has produced a beta version of the Windows Configuration Checker; seehttps://vias.symantec.com/labs/labs .
The basis of Veritas Installation Assessment Services (VIAS) is to automate the process of comparing the Storage Foundation system and hardware requirements to the customer's environment. VIAS will check the items that are necessary for successful deployments and upgrades to the Storage Foundation products.
VIAS can be used to produce a Detailed Report or a General Checklist (Detailed Report recommended). The Detailed Report will generate a customized report based on data collected from a specific server (a data collector utility is provided). The General Checklist will produce a generic report based on answers to several items that the customer responds to about a specific environment. All appropriate links to documentation, patches and other software are included in the reports when viewed in a web browser.
THE DATA COLLECTOR UTILITY WILL GATHER ONLY ENVIRONMENTAL INFORMATION FOR THE GENERATION OF THE DETAILED REPORT. THIS UTILITY IS AVAILABLE VIA HTTP DOWNLOAD ONLY FROM THE VIAS WEBSITE
(see the Detailed Report procedure below).
A screencast (youtube-style video) of the installation and use of VIAS is available at the Symantec Connect website at:
RUNNING VIAS - QUICK START
These instructions were written assuming the browser is running on a Windows workstation (typical). Steps 4 and 5 below can be skipped if the browser is run on the Unix server.
1) Browse tohttps://vias.symantec.com
2) Click to download the appropriate Data Collector
3) Click to get a list of data collector archives listed by OS.
(this filename will be used in step 6 below)
4) Click "Download" for the appropriate OS. The download should start with a dialogue to save the file. Also, a popup window will appear with a link to additional help if there is an issue with the download. The Data Collector will download to the Windows workstation. Optionally, a link to an MD5 checksum is provided.
5) Use a Windows FTP client or DOS command window to upload the data collector archive to any appropriate directory of the Unix server. Be sure to use binary mode when transferring the file (DOS CLI FTP: set the mode with the command binary before using the put command).
(a floppy disk, a USB flash drive or a "burned" CD could also be used)
6) Log into the Unix server to assess, cd to the appropriate directory, set execute permissions on the filename that was downloaded (chmod) and execute the script (as specified in step 3 above; Solaris sparc example: ./vias_sol_sparc.sh). This will extract the appropriate executable.
7) Paste the command line displayed at the next UNIX prompt to run the Data Collector. Respond to the prompts for the product, version and server that will be installed or upgraded (using destination version).
|Supported Products (as of this writing)|
|Veritas Storage Foundation (includes Veritas Volume Manager and Veritas File System)|
|Veritas Storage Foundation for Oracle|
|Veritas Cluster Server|
|Veritas Storage Foundation HA (includes Veritas Volume Manager, Veritas File System and Veritas Cluster Server)|
|Veritas Storage Foundation Cluster File System|
|Veritas Storage Foundation for Oracle RAC|
|Veritas Storage Foundation for Sybase|
|Veritas Storage Foundation for DB2|
|Veritas Storage Foundation Cluster File System for Oracle RAC|
8) An output file will be generated reflecting the server's environment (.xml). The Data Collector will ask if you would like to upload the report to the Symantec VIAS servers for report generation (recommended).
(the output file can optionally be uploaded to the Symantec VIAS server via a browser)
9) If `y` was answered in step 7, the .xml output file will be uploaded to the VIAS server. The link displayed can then be typed or pasted into a browser to view the VIAS report. In any case, answering 'y' to the next question will allowing viewing of the text version of the report.
10) Click button to save the report to "My VIAS" for future reference & management.
(account login/registration is required).
1) Browse to https://vias.symantec.com/
2) Click to see the Configure page containing several prompts where the customer can specify environmental information about their server(s).
3) Click to display a report based on the customers environment.
(the type of storage array is not input so all array configurations are listed)
(this type of report may not be saved)
To download or run this tool from the Web service
Product Support Matrix
VIAS Help Forum
Introducing the Veritas Installation Assessment Service
(includes Managing the My VIAS account)