Backup of a passive node on an Exchange 2007 CCR cluster will report successful even though the Exchange stores are not backed up.
When backing up the passive node in an Exchange 2007 SP1 Cluster Continuous Replication (CCR) setup, the job may report that it completed successfully, but the backup may not have recorded data from the Exchange databases. This issue occurs because the passive node is reporting an error that Backup Exec does not properly handle.
The issue described in this article only occurs if all of the following conditions are met:
- Backup Exec 11.x or 12.0 for Windows Servers is installed
- The Backup Exec Agent for Microsoft Exchange is being used
- The Exchange 2007 CCR Server is at a patch level of Service Pack 1
- Backups of passive Exchange 2007 CCR server nodes are being performed
To verify the installed version of Backup Exec, open the interface, then go to Help and select the About Backup Exec menu option.
This issue has been fiexed in the following Backup Exec hotfixes:
Backup Exec 11d for Windows Servers Service Pack 3
Backup Exec 12.0 for Windows Servers revision 1364 Hotfix 302981
To work around this issue until the hotfixes can be applied, perform the backup job from the active node only.
To back up from the active node, perform the following steps:
1. Open the Exchange backup job properties.
2. Under settings for Microsoft Exchange find the option "If Exchange 2007 backup source is LCR or CCR:"
3. Select "Back up from the active copy only (job fails if not available)" (Figure 1)