This procedure listed below offers the method to backup and/or deletes the backup jobs in Backup Exec System Recovery (BESR) at the client. It is recommended before performing this procedure to note the backup destinations, options and other information that will be needed if the backup schedules are to be re-created.
WARNING: Performing this procedure to remove the backup jobs / histories will result in all currently saved recovery points on the storage medium will no longer be part of the BESR history, and as such, will not follow current or future job schedule retention policy. Existing recovery points will need to be manually removed to prevent BESR from filling the storage drive. This manual intervention needs to be done until such time as all the older recovery points have been removed from the storage drive.
NOTE: Clients managed by the Backup Exec System Recovery Manager (BESRM) or Backup Exec System Recovery Management Solution (BESR-MS) will require all jobs assigned to be unassigned prior to performing these steps. BESRM & BESR-MS will redeploy the schedule backup job to the client automatically.
- Open the Microsoft (MS) Windows services management console
- Click on Start > Run.
- In the box, type: services.msc.
- Click on OK.
- Right click on Backup Exec System Recovery.
- Click Stop.
- Close the Windows Services console.
- Open the MS Windows task manager
- Click on Start > Run.
- In the box, type: taskmgr.exe.
- Click OK.
- Click the Processes tab.
- Click VProTray.exe.
- Click End Process.
- Close the task manager.
- Use Windows explorer to navigate to Backup Exec System Recovery schedule backup job file(s) and history files:
- For XP/2003: Navigate to \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\ sub-folder.
- For Vista/2008: Navigate to \ProgramData\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\ sub-folder.
NOTE: Program Data / Application Data are hidden folder(s). In Windows Explorer do one of the following if the folder is not present:
- For XP/2003: Navigate to Tools | Folder Options | View | Hidden Files and Folders > Show Hidden files, folders, and drives.
- For Vista/2008: Navigate to Organize | Folder and search options | View | Hidden Files and Folders > Show Hidden files, folders, and drives.
- Copy and/or delete the following items:
- History sub-folder
- Schedule sub-folder
- RPAM sub-folder (if present)
- *.Sv2i (system index file; if present)
- Restart the BESR service and the VPROTRAY.EXE process
- Follow step 1 above changing sub-step 6 by choosing START.
- Double click on the VPROTRAY.EXE process by navigating with Windows Explorer to:
- 32-bit: \Program files\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\Agent
- 64-bit: \Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\Agent
Windows based systems