Error "The NDMP subsystem reports that a request cannot be processed because it is in the wrong state to service the request" or "An NDMP request or reply is improperly formed and cannot be processed" occurs when attempting to backup or restore to a remote machine
Final error: 0xe000feb9 - The NDMP subsystem reports that a request cannot be processed because it is in the wrong state to service the request.
Final error: 0xe000feB8 - An NDMP request or reply is improperly formed and cannot be processed.
To resolve this issue:
1. After all the latest patches for Backup Exec have been applied to the media server, make sure the version of the Remote Agent(s) on the remote machine(s) is at the exact same version the Remote Agent is on the media server and the Backup Exec Remote Agent Service is started. For more information on this, review the following documents:
2. Verify no other application is either using or blocking TCP Port 10000 on the media server or remote machine(s) per what is listed in the following Technotes:
3. Confirm the Network Card Drivers are at the latest version on both the media server and each remote machine being backed up.
4. Make sure a Firewall is not configured to block TCP Traffic between the media server and remote machine.
5. Remove third party TCPfilters or teaming software that maybe causing this issue.
6. Review and perform the steps if applicable in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base Article:
Advanced network adapter troubleshooting for Windows workstations