The error message "0xe000fe1f - The device cannot be found" occurs when performing a local or remote backup using Backup Exec Advanced Open File Option (AOFO).
Final error: 0xe000fe1f - The device cannot be found.
Final error category: Resource Errors
V-79-57344-34110 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "F:". Advanced Open File Option used: No. Snapshot provider error (0xE000FE1F): The device cannot be found.
Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.
This error may occur due to multiple reasons including the ones mentioned below:
1. The resource selected for backup does not exist.
2. Advanced Open File Option has been selected for a database backup like Exchange, SQL or SharePoint.
3. Backup Exec has been upgraded to the latest version and the Remote Agent for Windows Servers has not been upgraded.
4. Remote Agent service is not running on the remote server OR is running but not with the Local System Account.
5. A database resource is not selected through the appropriate Agent Option for Exchange, SQL or SharePoint section.
6. Mismatched Full and differential backup job selections. Selections within the Full backup job may be missing items that are inside of the differential backup jobs.
To resolve the issue perform one of the following solutions:
Note: Solution 3 and Solution 4 are applicable only when performing backups of a remote server.
Verify if the resource that is to be backed up exists. If the resource does not exist, modify the backup job selection list and remove the entry for the concerned resource.
1. From the Job Setup tab, right-click on the concerned backup job. Select Properties.
2. Select the Selections option.
3. Click on "View Selection Details".
4. Locate and delete the entry referring to the resource.
If AOFO is selected for backups of the databases like Exchange or SQL, disable AOFO and rerun the backup. Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft SharePoint, Microsoft SQL, Lotus Domino, and Oracle all have database agents. These applications do not require the use of AOFO to back up their data, nor is it recommended.
To disable AOFO:
1. Open Backup Job Properties.
2. Click Settings > Advanced Open File.
3. Deselect Use Advanced Open File Option.
To do this to all jobs make the changes under global settings of Backup Exec.
1. Go to Tools | Options | Advanced Open File Option
2. Deselect Use Advanced Open File Option.
If Backup Exec has been upgraded to the latest version, make sure that the Remote Agent is also updated. Check the version of the Remote Agent for Windows Servers on the remote server.
To determine the version of the Remote Agent executable (Beremote.exe) perform the following on the remote server:
1. Find Beremote.exe in C:\Program Files\SYMANTEC\Backup Exec\RAWS32.
2. Once Beremote.exe is located, right-click on it and select Properties.
3. Click the Version tab.
4. Check the File Version.
Alternatively go to Tools | Install remote agents and media servers on other servers | Add the server in question and check if there are any new updates to be pushed out from the Backup Server to the Remote Server.
Ensure that the Remote Agent for Windows Service is running on the remote server. If the service is not running, check the Event Viewer of the remote server for errors. Additionally, the Remote Agent on the Exchange server and Media server should be running under Local System Account.
When backing up a database resource, only backup through the appropriate Agent Option for Exchange, SQL or SharePoint selections.
Ensure that every file or folder selection in your differential job is also selected within your full job. Any items added to your differential that are not selected in your full backup job will cause these errors.