How to restore to an Exchange 2007 Recovery Storage Group using the Exchange Management Console
To perform a redirected restore to recovery storage group using the Exchange Management Console perform the following:
- Open the Exchange Management Console.
- Select the Toolbox option on the left pane and then choose Database Recovery Manager. It is located under Disaster recovery tools. (Figure 1)
- Enter in the server name and domain controller name (Figure 2)
- Select "Create a recovery storage group" (Figure 3)
- Choose the storage group to be restored to. (Figure 4)
- Enter in the Recovery storage group name (Figure 5)
- Verify it worked correctly and then select "Go back to task center" (Figure 6)
- Open Backup Exec and SelecttheStorage group that needs to be restored. (Figure 7)
- Then select "Microsoft Exchange Redirection" from the left task pane
- Check off "Redirected Exchange sets"
- Fill in the server name that was used in step 3 for server name
- Check "Redirect using Volume Shadow Copy Services (VSS) snapshot provider"
- Then choose the radial button that says "Redirect to Recovery Storage Group (RSG) (Exchange 2007 only) ". (Figure 8)
- Run the restore job
- To run the Restore-Mailbox cmdlet, the account must be delegated the following:
Steps to be followed Post Successful Restore:
Once the database has been restored to RSG either merge missing emails from a mailbox from RSG to the production mailbox (this will restore all the missing emails without giving an option to restore individual emails) or use the Restore-Mailbox cmdlet to copy end-user data from a recovery storage group on any server running Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 to the same/any other Exchange 2007 server.
The Restore-Mailbox cmdlet can only use disconnected mailboxes from a recovery storage group on a server as a source of data and connected mailboxes as a target for data. To execute this command successfully ensure that the following conditions are met:
Exchange Server Administrator role and local Administrators group for both the source and target servers.
- The recovered and source databases must be from an Exchange 2007 server.
The syntax to run the command is listed below:
Restore-Mailbox -Identity <target mailbox> -RSGDatabase <Name of the Database added to the RSG> -RSGMailbox <source mailbox> -TargetFolder <folder to which you want to restore the mails to>
For more details on Restore-Mailbox refer to the link below:
Additional Microsoft articles:
- How to Recover a Mailbox by Using a Recovery Storage Group:
- How to Recover an Exchange 2007 Mailbox: