Granular Restore Technology (GRT): Restore of local or remote Exchange mailboxes fails with "0xe000848c - Unable to attach to a resource. Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again."
Final error: 0xe000848c - Unable to attach to a resource. Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again.
Final error category: Resource Errors
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33932
The remote agent debug log (servername-beremote.log) contains the following entries:
 Using Rem Provider for Restore.
 MAPISession::Logon(): OpenExchangePrivateStore() returned 8004011d
 AttachToDLE(-536836984)[\\SERVERNAME\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group]
 startRestore: CreateBSD() failed!
 Restore Job Stop(10) - Wed Apr 11 12:32:14 2007
 @@@@@@@MyCloseSocket called with sockfd = 3844(0xf040) retval = 0
 NDMP_SSPI: reverted to user SYSTEM
This issue occurs when the Backup Exec service account mailbox does not belong to the Exchange store or is inactive.
Configuration requirement for Microsoft Exchange GRT backup and restore is not set correctly.
- If the Backup Exec Service Account mailbox in a mixed exchange environment still resides on Exchange 2003 server, move it to Exchange 2007 mailbox store. Allow the replication to occur. Try the restore job.
- Create a new account and mailbox in the Exchange store that has admin privileges. (NOTE: The mailbox must not be hidden or disabled and the account must have admin privileges on the server and in Exchange) Edit the resource credentials for the restore job to the newly created logon account for the storage group. Perform these steps:
- In Backup Exec click on "Job Setup" and double-click on Restore job.
- Select "Resource credentials" in Restore Job Properties.
- Change the logon account for Servername resource and other resources to the newly created account.
Below are the other required permission for Backup Exec account to perform GRT backup/restore of Microsoft Exchange:
- Backup Exec "Logon Account" should have Exchange Full/Exchange Organization Administrators or Exchange Server Administrators role.
- Backup Exec "Logon Account" being used to backup Exchange is a member of Domain Administrators.
- Backup Exec "Logon Account" mailbox being used to backup Exchange is not hidden from the Global Address List as mentioned in the following document
- Backup Exec "Logon Account" being used to backup Exchange is Unique within Exchange Organization as mentioned in the following document
- Verify that the Backup Exec "Logon Account" being used to backup Exchange is a member of Local Administrators Group on exchange server.
- If Exchange Server or Media server is Windows 2008, update the hosts file on Windows 2008 server with IPV4 entries and restart the Backup Exec services. Please refer to below article.
For detailed information on configuration requirement of Exchange 2003 and Exchange 2007 GRT backup and restore, see the below given articles: