Backup Exec services are not able to start. The Backup Exec Device & Media Service service terminated with service-specific error 536928979
Backup Exec Device and Media Service fails to start with error 536928979
Windows System Event log error:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7024
The Backup Exec Device and Media Service terminated with service-specific error 0x2000e2d3 (536928979).
This error can be caused by various problems with the Backup Exec database including issues with the database itself, SQL permission issues, or Backup Exec configuration problems. Some of the possible causes and their solutions are mentioned below.
1. The Server Name or Domain Name have been changed since installing Backup Exec.
Update the Domain and Server name with BEUtility:
2. The SQL Instance for Backup Exec database (BEDB) is not running.
Go to Start > Run
Type SERVICES.MSC and click OK
Start the service for the SQL instance where the BEDB is attached. By default, the service name for the instance is "SQL Server (BKUPEXEC)"
3. The user specified to start the Backup Exec services does not have the appropriate rights to the BEDB.
Use BEUTILITY to grant the Backup Exec service account rights to the SQL database:
4. The BEDB is not attached in SQL.
Attach BEDB in SQL to resolve:
5. There are DNS and/or SQL communication problems.
Perform UDL tests to check communication:
6. The SQL Instance has protocols disabled
Enabled TCP/IP and Named Pipes protocols: