Loss of network connection during the backup of a remote resource causes a tape to be marked as unappendable (End Marker Unreadable).
Final error: 0xe00084f8 - The network connection to the Backup Exec Remote Agent has been lost. Check for network errors.
This issue only occurs if the network connection is interrupted during the backup of the final volume/file of a backup job. However, this issue is not only limited to the loss of a network connection. The issue can also occur if there is a problem staying connected to a file as it is being backed up and that file is on the final volume of a backup job. And may also result failure in restoring the data back.
This is an expected behavior.
In order to determine the cause of this issue, review the following Technote:
How to troubleshoot the error message: "The connection to target system has been lost. Backup set canceled." http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH71227
In order to clear the End Marker Unreadable from the tapes, the following steps needs to be followed:
Take note of the slot in which the tape is if a Robotic Library is being used.
1. Associate the tape with Retired Media.
2. Right click on the tape under Retired Media and select Delete.
3. Right click on the slot were the tape was, select Inventory.
4. Now the tape should show under Imported Backup Exec Media Set, Associated with Scratch or the corresponding Media Set.
5. Run a Catalog on that tape.