How to Copy the Backup Exec Database (BEDB) from an existing Backup Exec Server to a new Media Server with the same or different server name
Copy Database copies on an existing Backup Exec Database from a computer using a specific name to another computer using the same or different name. For example, if the media server is replaced with a new one and the computer name is same, Copy Database copies the Backup Exec database to the new computer with all database data intact.
If Copy Database is used to copy the Backup Exec database to a computer with a different computer name, some database data will be lost.
If you are copying the database of Backup Exec 15 Feature Pack 1 or later, you must export the Backup Exec Database encryption key before copying the database.
Exporting Backup Exec Database encryption key.
Before starting the process, Stop the Backup Exec services on the old server, including the Sql server(BKUPEXEC) service. Copy the bedb_dat.mdf & bedb_log.ldf files to the new server.
1. Start BEUtility.exe.(From Backup Exec Installation folder /Program Files/Symantec/Backup Exec).
2. On the task pane, under Database Tasks, click Copy Database.(as displayed in Figure 2)
Or, Right-click the Server Name and click on Copy Database. (as displayed in Figure 3)
3. Enter the name of an existing database file from which to copy, or click Browse to navigate to the location of the existing database.
The database file uses the file name extension, .mdf (bedb_dat.mdf) (as displayed in Figure 4)
4. Enter the name of an existing database log file from which to copy, or click Browse to navigate to the location of the existing database log file.
The log file uses the file name extension .ldf (BEDB_log.ldf). (as displayed in Figure 5)
5. Click OK.
A prompt appears on the screen which states that current Backup Exec Database would be overwritten (as displayed in Figure 6). Click Yes to proceed.
6. After the operation completes successfully, click Close. (as displayed in Figure 8)