How to change the Catalog Storage Location in Backup Exec for Windows Servers Central Administration Server Option & Managed Media Server
The Central Administration Server Option Central Restore feature can only be used if the catalogs are stored on the Central Administration Server (CAS). Catalogs stored on the CAS are accessed during a centralized restore.
Changing the Catalog Storage Location from a Managed Media Server to a Central Administration Server changes the storage location for future catalog sets, while also physically moving the existing catalogs to the Central Administration Server.
Changing the Catalog Storage Location from a Central Administration Server back to a Managed Media Server also changes the future storage location, but it does not physically move existing Catalogs back to the Managed Media Server. Therefore, if you configure CASO to use the Central Administration Server as the Catalog Storage Location, and then change the
Catalog Storage Location to a Managed Media Server, the centralized restore feature will use the Catalogs that remain on the Central Administration Server during Central Restore Operations, but not the Catalogs that reside on the Managed Media Server.
To change the Catalog Storage Location:
1. Launch Backup Exec Utility by double-clicking on beutility.exe in the directory C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT (default) for BE 10.x version. For BE 11d and above C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\ (default)
2. From a media server group, select the machine that will be hosting the Backup Exec Catalogs.
3. On the task pane, under CASO Tasks, click Change Catalog Storage Location (Figure 1).
4. Click the appropriate radio button to select the new catalog storage location on either a Managed Media Server (MMS) or a CAS (Figure 2).
5. Click OK.
6. When prompted to Shut Down and Restart the Backup Exec Services, Select Yes (Figure 3).
Note: Shut down and restart of Backup Exec Services will terminate any currently running jobs.