STATUS CODE 13: Backups fail with Status Code 13 "file read failed", indicating that a read of a file or socket has failed. Winsock errors 10054 and 10053 may also be seen in the bpbkar log on the client.
Backups fail with Status Code 13 "file read failed", indicating that a read of a file or socket has failed. Winsock errors 10054 and 10053 may also be seen in the bpbkar log on the client.
Winsock errors 10053 and 10054 are TCP/IP errors that occur at the networking layer of the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) model. On both the client and server sides, applications such as NetBackup, Exchange, Notes, etc. exist above the ISO network layer. The responsibility for establishing and maintaining a reliable network connection belongs to the network and system layers below NetBackup. If stable TCP/IP connections cannot be maintained, then NetBackup will be unable to continue the backup once these errors (10053 or 10054) are received.
In situations where this error is seen consistently, it is often seen that copying a large file from the client machine to the master/media server can fail as well. This displays that the issue is at the operating system (OS) or hardware level.
Client Log Files:
10:57:15.756 AM: [1904.2404] <16> dtcp_write: TCP - failure: send socket (912) (TCP 10054: Connection reset by peer)
10:57:15.756 AM: [1904.2404] <16> dtcp_write: TCP - failure: attempted to send 32768 bytes
10:57:15.756 AM: [1904.2404] <2> tar_base::V_vTarMsgW: FTL - tar file write error (10054)
10:57:15.776 AM: [1904.2404] <2> tar_base::V_vTarMsgW: INF - EXIT STATUS 13: file read failed
The following things can all help prevent Status 13 errors:
- Ensure that the latest service packs for all products and components (SQL, Exchange, Notes, etc.) have been installed.
- Ensure that all the network settings throughout the environment (NICs, hubs, switches, routers, etc.) are set to full duplex, not half duplex
- Increase the timeout settings on the NIC, if available.
- Try a different NIC, if available.
- If NIC teaming is implemented, deactivate for testing purposes. Refer to Microsoft Knowledge Base Q Article 254101.
- For mailbox backups, it is not recommended to run anti-virus software against the mail directories due to database locking issues. Verify if the anti-virus runs during this time frame and exclude the mail directories from being scanned if necessary.
- For database backups, review the file system and database backups and ensure that schedules do not overlap. Also, review any database maintenance schedules and ensure that they do not overlap with backup schedules.
For a more in-depth look at causes and resolutions for the Status 13 error, please see the article(s) referenced below in the related documents section.