How to use the global exclusions list to create a global exclusion for a specific file extension on every backup job
Symantec Backup Exec (tm) for Windows Servers allows the setting of global exclusion lists. Any global exclusion will be in place on every backup job. This is very useful in case of the need to exclude files by name or extension.
Examples of possible exclusions are:
Follow these steps to create the global exclusion list:
1. Open SYMANTEC Backup Exec for Windows Servers
2. Click Edit | Manage Selection List... (Figure 1)
3. Select the Excludes selection list, and click Edit (figure 2)
4. With the Excludes Properties box open, click Insert (Figure 3)
5. Without highlighting any resources, in the Advance file selections box, add (without quotes) "\**". So the path in the Path field is as follows (without quotes): "\\*\*\**". Then add the extension to the File field. The following example shows all files that have "tmp" as an extension to be excluded (Figure 4).