A Tape Library shows no activity when an Import or Export command is run in Backup Exec for Windows Servers
When an import or export command is issued in the Backup Exec console the tape library shows no activity and no media is imported or exported.
Some libraries do not support the Import\Export function via SCSI control and hence it is not possible to automatically export or import media with these tape libraries.. Executing an import/export commands through Backup Exec (tm) for such libraries only unlocks the tape library to permit manual replacement of media.
Following are some of the tape libraries that do not support the Import\Export function via SCSI control:
- Dell Power Vault 122T
- Dell Power Vault 124T
- HP Storage works Autoloader 960 1/8 LTO3
- Quantum UHDL Super Loader 3
Follow the procedure mentioned below to determine if the library supports the Export/Import function:
1. In the Backup Exec console, click on Tools > Backup Exec Diagnostics.
2. Enter the Backup Exec server name under the "SERVER" field.
3. Click on "Run Diagnostics".
4. The BEDIAG_SERVERNAME.TXT file is generated.
5. In Bediag under the ADAMM section, search for the "Import/Export" option under the Library information displayed.
6. If the option is set to 'MANUAL' then the library does not support the Import/Export function via SCSI control. If the option is set to 'ROBOTIC', then the tapes can be imported/exported to the Mail portal of the library using Backup Exec. (Figure 1)
To export media with this tape library, right-click the slots to export (Figure 2) and click Run Now (Figure 3).
When the Media Intervention alert is displayed ( Figure 4) , manually export or import the media from the library front control panel. The library is only unlocked when the import/export job is run in Backup Exec. When the import/export dialog pops up, it must remain open until the media operation has been completed from the tape library front control panel. Once the media operation has been completed at the tape library, the prompt can be answered and the library will once again be locked by Backup Exec.
Figure 4 NOTE:
For detailed instructions on performing a manual import/export media function please refer to the Device manufacturer website and the user manuals .