An issue is observed after catalog files are truncated. Although the catalog job completes successfully, files or applications in a guest VM with Granular Recovery Technology (GRT) cannot be restored. In the Backup and Restore tab > Computer name of VM > Restore button, the restore selection list cannot be expanded. (Figure 1)
Note: The catalogs truncation can be set by Backup Exec icon > Configuration and Settings > Backup Exec Settings > Catalog (Figure 2)
Disable the catalog truncation if GRT is required.
It is recommended to move the catalog location to a new directory if disk space is insufficient. Please refer to TECH210578 for more information to move the catalog location.
There are three ways to get individual files/data after the catalogs have been truncated.
A) Redirect restore
1) Perform redirected restore of entire VM to a temporary VM name
2) Start up the temporary VM
3) Gather required files from the temporary VM.
B) Duplicate the backup set to any storage
The catalog files are created for target device during the duplication.
C) Run catalog job
1) Open Admin Console and go to Backup and Restore tab.
2) Drill down into the host server.
3) Select Backup Sets pane.
4) Drill down into the backup set to be restored.
5) In Properties pane, write down Catalog File Name (Figure 3.)
6) Stop Backup Exec services.
7) Go to Catalog location. Below is the default location.
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\catalogs\<computer_name>
8) Delete the catalog file which is written down in step #5.
The file extensions are both .fh and .xml (Figure 4.)
9) Start Backup Exec services
10) Open Admin Console and go to Storage tab.
10-1) When using Robotic Library
Select a slot which the tape is inserted then run catalog job.
10-2) When using Single tape drive
Insert the tape to the drive then run inventory and catalog jobs.
10-3) When using disk based storage
Select the storage and run catalog job.
Note: The catalog job scans all backup set existing in the storage. This may take a long time.
Backup Exec 2014
Agent for VMware or Agent for Hyper-V
Granular Recovery Technology (GRT)
Catalog truncation is enabled