April 23, 2014: Initial publication
May 8, 2014: Updated with resolved version
Under certain conditions, when deleting and adding schedules to an existing synthetic backup policy, the file list for the newly added schedule may be incomplete. This can lead to the appearance of successful backups (status code 0 reported in the Activity Monitor) but upon attempt to restore, the backup is found to be incomplete.
The formal resolution for this issue (Etrack 3383898) is included in the following release:
- NetBackup 7.6 Maintenance Release 2 (220.127.116.11)
This release is now available - more information can be found in the Related Article linked below.
If this issue is experienced, please contact Symantec technical support, referencing this document ID and one of the following Etracks to obtain an Emergency Engineering Binary (EEB) replacement for nbjm which contains a fix for this issue:
- 18.104.22.168: 3387635
- 22.214.171.124: 3387634
Note that while this EEB will prevent future occurrences of this issue, any previously affected backups will remain incomplete.
Symantec strongly recommends the following best practices
1. Always perform a full DR backup prior to making any changes to your environment.
2. Always make sure that your environment is running the latest version and patch level.
3. Perform periodic "test" restores.
4. Subscribe to technical articles.
How to Subscribe to Email Notification:
Directly to this Article:
Subscribe to this article by clicking on the Subscribe via email link on this page to receive notification when this article is updated with Release Information.
If you have not received this TechNote from the Symantec Email Notification Service as a Software Alert, you may subscribe via email and/or RSS using the links provided at the following page:
This issue affects NetBackup versions 7.5 GA through 7.6 GA (126.96.36.199).
This issue affects policies where ALL of the following conditions are met:
- Policy type is Windows (MS-Windows)
- Synthetic backups are enabled (schedule with Synthetic backup checked)
- Multistreaming is enabled (Allow multiple data streams checked)
- Backup Selections includes ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES and/or a path containing a wildcard
- A schedule has been deleted, and a new schedule added