Backup jobs that include the system reserved partition using SSR 2013 fail with the error message below
Error E4F3000E: Snapshot failure while using Volume Shadow Copy Service. Please check application event log for VSS errors. Error code: EndCreateSnapshotSet (-2147212529).
- Click Start > Computer.
- Right-click on COMPUTER, select Manage.
- Select Storage -> Disk management.
- Locate the volume in question, right-mouse click on this volume, and select Properties.
- VSS requires around 40 MB of free space on a 100Mb partition for a snapshot to occur and backup successfully. If the free space is less than 40 MB, VSS does not have enough space to create a snapshot and the snapshot needs to be redirected to a different volume.
If running Windows 2008 or earlier, follow these steps from Microsoft: https://support.microsoft.com/kb/940184
1. Open Disk Management (Type "compmgmt.msc" in run or open computer management)
2. Go to storage -> disk management
3. Right click on system reserved partition and click properties
4. Go to shadow copies tab and then click settings
5. Change "located on this volume" to the C:\ partition or another partition.
6. Try backing up the partition again.