Step by Step on how to upgrade Backup Exec DLO to Symantec DLO 7.0 and 7.5
The Desktop & Laptop (DLO) version after BE DLO 2010 is now called as Symantec Desktop & Laptop (SDLO). The newer versions are SDLO 7.0 and 7.5. These versions are also newer version of Netbackup (NBU) DLO 6.x.
SDLO 7.x is not a part of BE or NBU software, but now it is available as separate product.
The SDLO 7.x Install files can be downloaded from:
fileconnect.symantec.com/ - and entering a valid Serial Number
- On Backup Exec 2010 server, download the SDLO installation files and run Setup.exe to start the installation.
- Click Next on Welcome to the InstallShield Wizard for Symantec DLO box.
- Accept the License Agreement by selecting the I accept the terms in the license agreement radio button and click Next
- On Custom Setup box, ensure all the features you wish to install are enabled. See the Fig. 1
- On Destination Folder dialog box, choose the location where you need to install SDLO and click Next. The default path is C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec DLO\. See Fig. 2
- On Serial number box, enter the DLO 7.0 serial number and click Next. See Fig. 3
- On Symantec DLO Database dialog box, select a SQL Server instance on which to install the Symantec DLO database. See Fig. 4
- Local SQL Express 2005 instance: To create a new local SQL Express 2005 instance.
- Existing local SQL Server Instance: To use the existing local SQL Server 2005 or later.
- Remote DLO Database Installation: To store database on existing remote SQL server 2005/2008.
- Enter the domain username and password on SQL Service Account box. Use a domain user name and password for SQL service Account that can create shares on network servers. Normally a Administrator account.
- Enter username and password on DLO Administrator Account box. Please enter the account details which will be treated as DLO Administrator and perform administration tasks. Normally a Administrator account.
- Click Install and start the installation. This will take several minutes.
- Click Finish on InstallShield Wizard Completed box.
- Click OK on Configuring Symantec DLO 7.0 for first use…..
- Once it is done, launch DLO 7.0. It should show previously configured Profile, Users and Storage Locations etc. Since the upgrade process will automatically migrate the DLO SQL database to new installation.
- Now if you launch Backup Exec 2010 and click Tools menu, you will see Desktop and Laptop option is grayed out. Which means, BE DLO was removed during upgrade process and BE 2010 DLO database migrated to Symantec DLO 7.0.
- Click Tools menu, and click Install Agents and Maintenance Services on Remote Computers…
- Click Next on Install DLO Agent and DLO Maintenance Server remotely wizard.
- To install DLO agent, select the radio button DLO Agent, click Add, enter name or IP address of the client system and Domain name and click OK.
- Enter the Remote Computer Logon Credentials on the prompt. Use a user name and password for an account that has administrative rights on the remote computer. Usually a domain admin account. Click OK.
- You may add more client systems from the same wizard if required. Click Install to push install the SDLO agent.
- Download the SDLO 7.5 installation files to DLO server and run Setup.exe.
- Go through the Symantec DLO Pre-Requisites and click Yes to continue. See Fig. 1
- Select Install Dedupe Administration Service to install the new Deduplication feature and click Next. See Fig 2
- Select the option Install Dedupe Server to install Dedupe and click Next. See Fig. 3
- On SQL Service Account dialog box, enter domain username and password and Click Next. (Need to enter a domain user name and password for SQL Account that can create shares on network servers. Normally Administrator account.) See Fig. 4
- On DLO Administrator Account dialog box, enter a domain username and password and click Next. (Need to enter a account which will be treated as DLO Administrator and perform administrative task. Normally a Administrator account) See Fig. 5
- Click Install on Ready to Install the Program dialog box and complete the installation wizard.
- Once the upgrade is done, ensure to upgrade the SDLO 7.0 agents with new SDLO 7.5 agents with push install. See the above SDLO 7.0 steps, it is same for SDLO 7.5.
BE DLO 2010 upgrade to SDLO 7.0 and 7.5