Desktop icons and shortcuts might be removed after performing a System Recovery Disk (SRD) restore with Restore Anyware Option (RAO).
Desktop Cleanup that is called by Sysprep removes Desktop icons and shortcuts on the first boot after recovering the system.
RAO runs Microsoft Sysprep automatically on the first boot after recovering the system. Sysprep calls Desktop Cleanup when Desktop Cleanup is enabled on OEM Windows system that is provided by Hardware Vendor.
Steps to prevent RAO from removing Desktop Icons and Shortcuts are as follows.
1. Do not reboot soon after recovering the SRD restore, and go back to main menu.
2. From the main menu choose 'Analyze'.
3. Click the menu option, ‘Open Command Shell Window’.
4. At the command prompt type: regedit and press the enter key.
5. Single left click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to select it.
6. From the FILE pull down menu choose, ‘Load Hive’.
7. Navigate to the restored system’s \Windows\System32\config sub-folder.
8. Select the SYSTEM file; it will be the one w/o a file extension then click the OK button.
9. Enter as a key name "NOREBOOT".
10. Expand out HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and locate "NOREBOOT".
11. Expand out "NOREBOOT".
12. Navigate to \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersionOemStartMenuData.
13. Set the DoDesktopCleanUp value from 1 to 0.
14. Navigate back to "NOREBOOT".
15. From the FILE pull down menu choose, ‘Unload Hive’.
16. Click Yes to save changes to the restored system's SYSTEM hive.
17. Close regedit.
18. Type Exit at the Command Shell Window.
19. Click the Exit bottom SRD main window.
20. Reboot the recovered system.
Backup Exec System Recovery 2011 / Symantec System Recovery 2011 / Symantec System Recovery 2013
Restore Anyware Option (RAO)
OEM Windows System