Backup Exec 2012 revision 1798 Service Pack 2 Release notes
This technote contains a list of known issues resolved and platform support added with Backup Exec 2012 revision 1798 Service Pack 2.
Service Pack 2 is a roll-up of the following Backup Exec 2012 revision 1798 hotfixes:
Service Pack 1
Hotfix # : (189571)
Hotfix # : (180964)
Hotfix # : (194470)
Hotfix # : (199866)
Hotfix # : (200433)
Hotfix # : (201596)
Hotfix # : (205111)
Hotfix # : (203574)
DDI Hotfix # : (201596)
Backup Exec 2012 Service Pack 2 can be downloaded here (TECH203155) or under the related documents section.
NOTE: After applying this service pack Backup Job may report a Licensing issue. See Related Document (TECH209353).
New features/enhancements are included in this release
• Protection of Windows® Server 2012 servers using the Agent for Windows. This includes support for:
⁃ Microsoft data Deduplication-enabled volumes (backs up and restores data in non-deduplicated data format)
⁃ New ReFS (Resilient File System)
⁃ Windows Recovery Volume (WinRE)
⁃ New Hyper-V version
⁃ Updated Failover Clustering (CSV)
⁃ Native 4K (Advanced Format) drives
⁃ Online restore of computer and system components
• Updated protection of SQL to include:
⁃ SQL 2012 SP1
⁃ SQL 2008 R2 SP2
• Protection of Exchange 2013 (Non-GRT only)
• Support for Exchange 2010 SP3
• Protection of SharePoint Server 2013 (Non-GRT only)
• Support for VMware® vSphere® 5.1
⁃ VMware ESX™ 5.1 and vCenter™ 5.1
For more information on what’s new in Backup Exec 2012 SP2 please refer to the updated Readme document that is Available Here.
Known issues resolved
Device and Hardware Support
(Backup Exec 2012 Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) - TECH175582)
- New Device Support: HP MSL 6480 Tape Library
- New Device Support: Isilon OneFS 7.0 NDMP
- New Device Support: IBM Storwize & SONAS series NDMP
- New Device Support: Oracle StorageTek SL150 library.
- Unable to delete removable disk cartridge media from Backup Exec 2012 UI. RDX and RD1000. (TECH191513)
- Inventory job fails with e000e005 or e000e006 when missing OST images are detected. (TECH193330)
- While running backup to Deduplication storage "Unrecognized Media" alerts are generated. (TECH188776)
- Backup of System State to deduplication storage with Backup Exec 2012, is slower than Backup Exec 2010 R3. (TECH193430)
- Backup to Disk Storage (B2D) folders in Backup Exec 2012 go offline when Backup Exec Database Maintenance occurs. (TECH189831)
- Duplication job cannot duplicate all sources with combination of 'Most recent full backup' option and System State. (TECH199609)
- Backup Exec 2012 Disk Storage Buffer size setting reverts back to the default value of 64K after the Backup Exec service are restarted. (TECH190023)
- Enhance IBM LTO6 Library Managed Encryption error message handling.
- Clean job is not greyed out for VTLs & Cleaning slot as well.
- Duplicate OnTap 8.1 NDMP server shows up when adding Host name to host file.
- Backup Exec support of Novell OES11 (NSS Only).
- Deduplication folder media that is in the process of being used for backup gets corrupted if there is a communications failure.
- Device Discovery hangs during startup and shutdown when a cleaning media is in a Library drive.
- Media Type 4mm DAT320 is missing.
- Drives under Robotic Library seen as standalone after a reboot and MISSING DEVICES under Robotic Library.
- When performing a combo import & inventory job, the job log doesn't indicate the media is physically write protected (as the regular inventory job does).
- OST: enhance missing media operation to catch "EFNOTFOUND" for HP B6000 appliance.
- PDVFSService crashes while backing up to the deduplication folder with files GRT enabled.
- Linux Media Agent: RHEL6.x Server with HP HBA Host Bus Adapter P212 receiving "Incorrect Function" during an inventory.
- SQL deadlocks found in UI scale build 1117 which looked like relating to MediaSetSummary_View and Media_View.DeleteUnknownMedia.
- Invalid Physical Volume Library Media Identifier' error message on each Managed Backup Exec server (MBES)BES in PDDE deduplication Scale setup.
- Backup to Deduplication folder hangs mounting media with unrecognized media. The media labeled '?' from slot '2352', read by drive 'Deduplication Storage Folder 0001:21' is written in an unrecognized format. Erase the media to make it usable.
- Running multiple backups from MBES's in a WAN that generates a 1% packet loss results in system call failures and jobs hang in queued state.
- Running a backup job or duplicate (opt dup) when delay is at 60-70ms causes local and shared deduplication folder to go offline.
- Backup Exec picking up OST media which are not present on the Quantum OST appliance and backup stays in queued state. (TECH202539)
- Opt dup of a GRT enabled AVVI set fails with Directory was not found, or could not be accessed.
- Corrupt Media in Dedup is marked as 'Scratch' in Backup Exec. Jobs using that will fail with '0xe00084ec' errors.
- "Physical Volume Library Media not found." error during verify.
- Backup Exec creating thousands of unknown scratch media in deduplication folder/ OST Appliance causing jobs to queue for a long time. (TECH200688)
- Verify job fails with read error after "exterminate duplicate" seen in adamm.log.
- After installing the Backup Exec Remote Agent and Symantec Endpoint Protection, server applications using the LogonUser function slow down (TECH193791)
- Backup Exec 2012 server service (BESERVER) terminates in serdll.dll after applying Hotfix 199190 (TECH201464)
- Intermittant RALUS RHELS 5.3 Snapshot errors after installing
- Backup Exec Services will not start if IPLOps.log reaches 4GB. (TECH202018)
- Backup Exec Server service (BESERVER) memory usage keeps increasing after every backup job. (TECH191511)
- Trying to launch the “Install Options and Licenses on this Backup Exec Server” wizard takes a long time to open in Backup Exec 2012. (TECH196175)
- Incremental backup files using catalogs are not restored (TECH190622)
- During a backup of virtual machines using the VMware agent, the Backup Exec Remote Agent may crash on ntdll.dll (TECH190652)
- The Backup Exec Job Engine Service crashes during a duplicate backup operation from tape to disk (TECH191257)
- Unable to back up CIFS shares despite NDMP being disabled on the NetApp filer (TECH202458)
- CPU configuration is not preserved following a full virtual machine restore with the Backup Exec Agent for VMware (TECH198164)
- Exchange transaction logs are not truncated after full backup of Exchange VM with GRT enabled (TECH199574)
- GRT backup of a VMware virtual machine to deduplication folder fails with "Unable to create the virtual disk" (TECH204506)
- Backup Exec Remote Agent crashes on Media server during VMware backups (TECH201471)
- VMware Differential backup fails with 0xe0009585 - Unable to open a disk of the virtual machine when backup is targeted to a Backup Exec Deduplication folder (TECH202017)
- App GRT (Granular Recovery Technology) restore of SharePoint data from tape fails with "Final error: 0xe0000f04 - The Backup Exec server could not connect to the remote computer. (TECH202313)
- AVVI Differential backups to Disk Storage fail with Final error: 0xe00095b4 - Incremental\\Differential backup methods are not supported for this VM. The backup job failed, since the option 'to fall back to a full backup' was not selected. (TECH202428)
- File GRT of Virtual Machine with large VMDK (over 1 TB) or many files (over 1 million) takes a long time in "Updating Catalogs" status, when running backups to Deduplication Folder. (TECH202690)
- vCenter progress status is not updated after a job is canceled (TECH180911)
- Backups of ESX server fails with “Final error: 0xe0009586 - Unable to find the metadata for a disk of the virtual machine”. (TECH190164)
- VMware guest machine fails to start up after the restore if SAN on media server is disconnected during backup job (TECH193641)
- Beremote.exe crashes in msvcr80.dll intermittently during AVVI backup (TECH194463)
- VMware virtual machine backup stays in pre-processing state for a long time before giving byte count (TECH209845)
- File Folder/APP GRT of VMs to a Backup Exec Deduplication Storage folder crash local Beremote on vixDiskLib!VixDiskLib_ConnectEx+821b7 (TECH207634)
- Backup of a virtual machine (VM) that has Microsoft SQL Server installed on it does not show restore selections for the SQL instance when backed up to a tape device. (TECH177527)
- Duplicate backups sporadically complete successfully containing the error V-79-57344-33329 - Library - cleaning media was mounted (TECH173835)
- Backup Exec Calendar does not show scheduled jobs when jobs are being scheduled to start on the first of the month (TECH192287)
- Backup jobs configured using the dynamic inclusion feature in Backup exec 2012 may experience a crash if one of the sub-selections is removed later (TECH186893)
- After upgrading to Backup Exec 2012 Backup-to-Disk jobs fail with e0000f16 – The operation failed to acquire the minimum number of drives and media needed (TECH187935)
- Duplicate to Tape for a GRT backup on CAS (Central Admin Server) site with "Private cloud" option enabled fails with "Final error: 0xe000120d - An error occurred accessing data in the Granular Recovery Technology backup-to-disk folder for this job (TECH184492)
- Backup Exec Server service crashes immediately after starting it (TECH191015)
- After upgrading to Backup Exec 2012, compression is enabled for disk based backups when the default setting is disabled (TECH192695)
- Beserver service crashes with error "The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception." (TECH191451)
- Backup Exec Server service crashes in KERNELBASE.dll during Symantec ThreatCon status polling (TECH195183)
- Restore selection is not available for a successful DFSR data backup after upgrading to BE 2012 (TECH194968)
- Backup job fails with '0xe0009b61 - Backup Exec could not log on to the server with the logon account specified for it' even when Logon Account has correct permissions (TECH194999)
- Backup sets are not overwritten on USB/SATA drives which are swapped on daily basis when Disk Storage runs out of Disk Space (TECH196201)
- Backup Exec job engine service (BENGINE.exe) terminates in KERNEL32.DLL during a Synthetic Incremental Backup job in Backup Exec 2012. (TECH189932)
- Local resource enumeration / discovery takes 7-15 minutes when EFI disk partition is in use. (TECH198184)
- Bengine.exe crashes when trying to catalog a Tape backed up with Arcserve 11 (TECH194776)
- The duplicate stage created for Synthetic job in Backup Exec 2012 is not visible and cannot be edited (TECH194898)
- Remote Agent Service hangs on stopping. Reboot required. (TECH189933)
- Backup Exec for Windows Remote Agent service (BEREMOTE.EXE) terminates when backing up Volume within Alternate Data Streams files during real time virus scan. (TECH135179)
- Media is not being overwritten after expiration has been reached for backups of Windows XP SP3. (TECH190931)
- v-79-57344-42006 P2V job fails with: 0xe000a416 Failed to format a volume from the virtual disks (TECH194072)
- Keep getting alert to insert new WORM media when a backup job spans on second tape (TECH194993)
- Backup Exec Device and Media Service (PVLSVR.EXE) will not start after a fail over occurs on Backup Exec 2012 cluster installation. (TECH195477)
- Final error: 0xe000a41d - Failed to get the credentials for the target server from the logon cache.” When running a Physical to Virtual conversion from CAS when the actual backup job is run from MMS (TECH197922)
- The abbreviation of GB in the HOME tab on a German OS is displayed as FR (TECH202388)
- ODBC Access errors. Event ID 34338 and 34326 reported on CAS. (TECH203788)
- Remote Agent crash and Error "Dynamic Query Connection Logon failure" occurs when enumerating backup selections in Backup Exec 2012. (TECH203907)
- Backup Exec Job Engine service crashes on catcommon.dll (TECH204374)
- Unable to install options because it is unclear what License key to select during Installation wizard (TECH204613)
- Job Engine on MMS server crashes on ntdll.dll during backup. (TECH208761)
- BE GUI shows empty tapes as "end marker unreadable" (TECH208763)
- OptDup backups between Backup Exec servers fail with '0xe00084ec - A backup storage read/write error has occurred' and error 2060016 recorded in Event Log (TECH201309)
- OptDup backups between Backup Exec servers fail with '0xe00084ec - A backup storage read/write error has occurred' and errors 2060018\2060001 recorded in Event Log (TECH201867)
- Backup Exec Job Engine service crashes on module libsts.dll (TECH198228)
- Backup Exec Job Engine crashing on libsts!stsm_open_image_v10+0x7c (TECH207853)
- Opt-Dedup job fails with error "Final error: 0xe00084ec - A backup storage read/write error has occurred." (TECH201469)
- Deduplication Manager service crashes even when there is no job or task running. (TECH205715)
- Optimized DeDuplication Verify job fails with error '0xe000810d - Physical Volume Library Media not found' (TECH204504)
- Backup Exec 2012 Deduplication folder out of space and when deleting backup sets to then consider reclaimation, BE Manager service crashes. (TECH208668)
- Backup Exec Remote Agent crashes on the Exchange Server while browsing the server resources (TECH200916)
- When backing up an Exchange 2007 server, the second backup may not contain the Microsoft Information Stores (TECH191085)
- Backing up Exchange 2007/2010 with GRT enabled to disk takes several hours during the snapshot phase, where Exchange non-GRT or GRT to tape take minutes (TECH180073)
- After installing Hotfix 180429 for Backup Exec 2010 R3 Rev 5204 it may not be possible to add a new DAG or setup Preferred Servers in the backup select list. (TECH185927)
- GRT Restore of Exchange Mailbox fails with "-515 The timestamp in the next log does not match the expected timestamp" (TECH188881)
- GRT enabled Incremental backups of Exchange 2010 DAG fails with "Final error: 0xe0000393 - Cannot extract mailbox messages from the Exchange backup. Review the job log for more information." (TECH186423)
- Backup of Exchange Database with thousands of transaction logs runs slow when targeted to Deduplication Storage device (TECH195675)
- Exchange Server Browse taking a long time in Backup Exec 2012 (TECH196756)
- Exchange 2003 GRT Incremental / differential backups to disk fail with "Cannot logon to MAPI" and Remsrv.exe faults on virtapi.dll on the Backup Exec server. (TECH192468)
- Incremental backups of Exchange GRT data to dedupe folder fail with -1022 error (TECH202439)
- Exchange 2003, 2007 or 2010 Incremental or Differential GRT backup to Deduplication Disk Storage may run slower than normal or cause intermittent failures. (TECH186741)
- Restore to Recovery Storage Group (RSG) from a Snapshot backup for Exchange 2003 restores to the original database store (TECH201897)
- GRT (Granular Recovery Technology) restore of contacts from Suggested Contacts folder in Exchange 2010 fails with error "The e-mail address that was supplied isn't valid" (TECH180061)
- GRT restore of delivery receipts fail with "EWS extended error: At least one attachment could not be created" (TECH180062)
- Exchange incremental GRT backup is very slow. (TECH204501)
- Duplicate job for Exchange fails with - Not enough free disk space for temporary catalog files. V-79-57344-34009 - There was an error processing the on tape catalogs. (TECH204505)
- Encryption Key Not Found appears when selecting a backup set on tape in the "Where do you want to restore the data from?" screen. (TECH200810)
- GRT restore of Exchange 2010 contacts without email address fails with EWS error "The e-mail address that was supplied isn't valid" (TECH181847)
- Backup Exec Media Server Blue Screens during Exchange Incremental GRT backup to disk (TECH189227)
- Backup Exec Remote Agent on the media server crashes on bedsmbox!PropertyReader when restoring an Exchange 2007 mailbox (TECH192818)
- During non-GRT backup or credential check of Exchange 2010 resources the Backup Exec Remote Agent crashes on bedsxese.dll on the node the database is being backed up from. (TECH202565)
- After upgrading to Backup Exec 2012, database resources under "Microsoft Information Store" are not visible from the selection list (TECH187871)
- When attempting to browse selections for an Exchange 2007 CCR cluster name, Information Store selections may not be available for all nodes of the cluster when using the FQDN to connect (TECH190297)
- Only one Hyper-V virtual machine is restored even though multiple virtual machines are selected for restore (TECH202255)
- Backup of Hyper-V virtual machine fails with error '0x1e - The system cannot read from the specified device (TECH198219)
- Backup Exec installation fails with the error "Error 1606. Could not access network location \IDR\Data" (TECH202447)
- Liveupdate fails when launched from Backup Exec console if the Windows login account does not have administrator rights (TECH202443)
- Liveupdate may hang and then fail without installing any updates to Backup Exec. (TECH203499)
DLM (Data Lifecycle Management)
- IMG folders not being overwritten when located inside RDX media (TECH192382)
- Incremental backup sets are not reclaimed even after expiry (TECH202459)
- Synthetic Backups to disk inherit the incorrect disk retention settings. (TECH196527)
- DLM not being reclaiming media after migration due to disassociated JobFamilyGuid on upgraded backup jobs (TECH202460)
- Duplicated differential backup sets are not reclaimed (or overwritten) on disk storage because of SSP being enabled. (TECH200263)
- Some .bkf files are not deleted by DLM(Data Lifecycle Management) after retention period of backup set expires if it is spanned across multiple disk storages (TECH204553)
- Restores from NDMP based backups of filers fail when done from backup sets made after incremental backups containing no changes (TECH202456)
- NDMP Set copy jobs fail when incremental backup sets contain no data. Error the directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed (TECH202441)
- Redirect restore of NDMP data fails with the error 0xe000130c if pre-Backup Exec 2010 R3 backups sets are selected for restore in Backup Exec 2010 R3 SP2 and Backup Exec 2012. (TECH188064)
- NDMP Duplicate Jobs fail with '0xe000fe29 - Authentication failed on connection to the server' during the Verify stage (TECH196847)
- Test run job for Oracle databases stays in running state (TECH202401)
- Backup Exec Remote agent crashes on Oracle server when excludes are defined for the backup job (TECH190657)
- Oracle backup job goes into queued state indefinitely when excludes are defined in Backup Exec (TECH190660)
- Backup Exec remote agent (BEREMOTE.EXE) terminates in module BEDSRman.dll when backing up data on physical nodes of a Windows Oracle 11g cluster (TECH184645)
- When repeating incremental or differential backups using Oracle Agent, the job intermittently fails with a communications failure has occurred (TECH176686)
- Unable to view Oracle Clustered Instance under the Virtual Node Name of the 11g R2 Failsafe Cluster (TECH187380)
- Unable to view any local Oracle Instance on a 11g Failsafe Cluster in Backup Exec 2012 (TECH187381)
- Volume-level backups fail if Oracle RAC is configured in the server (TECH194377)
- Backup job for DELL Equallogic FS7500 filer fails to retain the NDMP Level 2 onwards settings causing the backup to revert to NDMP Level 1 (TECH195040)
- Unable to restore files from backup set if there are two folders with the same name at the same directory level. (TECH202440)
- Reports from the "Jobs" category of Backup Exec 2012 report groups do not display data (TECH193070)
- Custom reports generated in BE 2012 does not show the data from previous version (TECH189962)
- A restore job fails with an error 0xe000030e when a manual disaster recovery is performed using the incremental backup set on Backup Exec 2012 (TECH197871)
- SDR Recovery process completes with an error "You have completed the disaster recovery process.However the Hardware Discovery process has failed and the computer may not start" (TECH201981)
- GRT (Granular Recovery Technology) restore or redirection to UNC path of a SharePoint item fails with 'An error occurred on a query to filegroup' (TECH187815)
- Unable to eject cartridge after successful backup of Microsoft Windows SBS server to RD1000 device (TECH191155)
- SharePoint 2007 GRT (Granular Recovery Technology) backup to Disk fails with “Final error: 0xe0001702 - The object was not found, or could not be accessed (Share point backup).” (TECH186698)
- Backup for Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 fails with “Final error: 0xe0001602 - Access is denied (Share point backup).” (TECH176680)
- GRT restore of SharePoint Custom Lists, Document Library does not restore additional columns (TECH202445)
- Beremote.exe crashes when backing up SharePoint 2010 with backup Exec 2012 (TECH193100)
- Sharepoint Granular Recovery Technology backup to tape runs excessively long in 'updating catalogs' status (TECH191450)
- Sharepoint agent backup of Content DB fails verify stage with error '0xe000fe2d - The backup of the item is bad' (TECH200651)
- Sharepoint 2010 backup fails with error 0xe000031a - Unable to query the team database metadata. (SPSWrapper error: System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.) (TECH201213)
- SQL or File backup shows exceptions - Error: SPDBName is a component of a SharePoint server farm. It must be backed up using the Backup Exec Agent for Microsoft SharePoint Portal Server (TECH196215)
- Redirected restore of Sharepoint 2007 documents to a folder fails with error and Remote Agent crashes on Media server (TECH197817)
- Unable to restore individual SQL backup set from "All available backup sets for this database" if the backup sets are encrypted (TECH200767)
- After a successful restore of a SQL Database, the database is left un-attached when the option for "Leave the database nonoperation" is selected. (TECH198181)
- SQL Redirect Restore fails with error "Unclosed quotation mark after the character string 'G:\SQL_D'" (TECH198367)
- SQL server may hang up if some VSS error occurs (TECH198700)
- Clustered SQL resources not listed under cluster name in backup selections (TECH202542)
- After upgrading to Backup Exec 2012, individual backup sets are not available for selection when attempting to restore a Microsoft SQL database(s) via FQDN (TECH188033)
- The restore wizard for a SQL server, only shows the last 100 SQL backups sets and hence does not allow to run restores from older backup sets (TECH190468)
- During the restore of a SQL database with multiple backup sets the Backup Exec job engine may crash (TECH198587)
- During upgrade to Backup Exec 2012 the Database Migration fails with error Arithmetic overflow error converting expression to data type int (TECH185928)
- Upgrade from BE 2010 R3 to BE 2012 fails with the error “Failure -1 running migration library 0” during execution of Pvlupgrade library. (TECH189205)
- ODBC Access errors. Event ID 34338 and 34327 reported on CAS server running Backup Exec 2012 (TECH190394)
- During upgrade to Backup Exec 2012 the Database Migration fails with error "Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'NewJobName', table 'BEDB.dbo.mig-DeletedJobInfo'" (TECH197808)
- During upgrade to Backup Exec 2012 the Database Migration fails with error "Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'ShareBackupMethod', table" (TECH200274)