From Lotus Notes or iNotes / DWA, when an item archived by Enterprise Vault is retrieved / opened, it is not possible to see the expected content of "Display / Conversation", "Display / Thread" or "Show / Hide mail threads".
Even if the opened item is supposed to contain additional emails belonging to the same thread:
- In the Lotus Notes client, the embedded conversation history view remains empty
- In iNotes / DWA, the informational message 'No conversation history' is returned to the UI
In the following screenshot from a Lotus Notes client, it is possible to see the 'empty' box supposed to contain the items related to the thread/conversation
In iNotes / DWA, 'No conversation history' appears above the message header
The "Display / Thread", "Display / Conversation" or "Show / Hide mail threads" actions actually reveal the content of the hidden views '$ThreadsEmbed' or '(Mail Threads)' (depending on the action and version), and these views are embedded with a setting to show the content of the current thread only, associating the open item to its parent and response documents via its UniversalID.
During the retrieval of an item archived by Enterprise Vault, the item shown to the users is actually a new temporary item, created in the Domino mail file of the user, with its own new UniversalID (as the original item / shortcut also still exists in the mail file with the original UniversalID), and therefore the embedded conversation history view remains empty as the item cannot be associated by UniversalID to its original parent and response documents.
The following workarounds can be used to view the conversation history of an item archived by Enterprise Vault:
- In the Lotus Notes client, view the conversation history on the shortcut version of the item within the Inbox, All Documents view, or personal folders by enabling those folders / views for conversations (select 'Actions \ Conversations' from the menu bar, or 'Show \ Conversations' from the actions bar)
- In the Lotus Notes client or iNotes / DWA, view the conversation history on the shortcut version of the item within the 'Mail Threads' view (select View\GoTo...\Mail Threads in the Lotus Notes client from the menu bar, or Views \ Mail Threads in iNotes / DWA from the mail file navigator)
- In the Lotus Notes client or iNotes / DWA, restore the archived item, then open it and the conversation history will now display
There are currently no plans to address this issue by way of a patch or hotfix in the current or previous versions of the software at the present time.
This issue may be resolved in a future major revision of the software at a later time. However, this particular issue is not currently scheduled for any release. If you feel this issue has a direct business impact for you and your continued use of the product, please contact your Symantec Sales representative or the Symantec Sales group to discuss these concerns.
For information on how to contact Symantec Sales, please see http://www.symantec.com