The master server appears to "freeze."
The condition described in this document can be seen when ALL of the following conditions have been met:
- NetBackup Java/non-Java administration console hangs when selecting Storage Units, Lifecycle Policies, etc.
- Command line execution of nbemmcmd and bpstulist commands (for example) hang indefinitely without reporting output
- Restarting the NetBackup Enterprise Media Manager (nbemm) service does not help.
- Sybase SQLAnywhere has NOT run out of cache per server.log
The root cause is multifaceted:
- NetBackup nbdb database/query issue
- NetBackup environment and/or configuration resulting in heavy load
- Possibly underpowered/underprovisioned master server hardware
The formal resolution for this issue (ETrack 3124700) is included in the following release:
- NetBackup 7.5 Maintenance Release 6 (220.127.116.11)
NetBackup 18.104.22.168 is now available - please access the Related Article below for more information.
Please contact Symantec technical support, referencing this document and Etrack 3206707 to obtain an Emergency Engineering Binary (EEB) bundle containing a fix for this issue for NetBackup 22.214.171.124.
This issue affects NetBackup 7.5 through 126.96.36.199 master servers.