Restore of redirected SQL databases fails with:
V-79-65323-3179 - An error occurred on a query to database model.
V-79-65323-3179 - The system database cannot be moved by RESTORE
If this error is being returned, it is likely that the SQL Master database was selected along with other databases for the redirected restore operation. The Master database cannot be redirected.
Keep the following points in mind when restoring SQL databases:
- The SQL service pack level while restoring system databases (i.e., Master, Model and Pub databases) must be the same as that of the SQL service pack level of the SQL Instance that was backed up or the restore job will fail.
- While restoring, the master database must be in Single User Mode. If "Automate Master Database" option is used during restore, then the master database is automatically put in Single User Mode.
- While performing a full restore, the master database must be restored first in a separate restore job. After the master database has been restored successfully, the other databases can be restored.
- MASTER Database cannot be redirected on a different server.
- Because the master database contains machine specific security information, the SQL Services may not start if the master database is redirected to a different machine or SQL Instance, even if the restore completes successfully. A support case will need to be opened with Microsoft if this issue does occur.
- Only one database can be selected for restore at a time when a redirected restore is performed.
- The Backup Exec logon user account must be a member of the SQL Server's Administrators group.
- Backup Exec needs to have full administrator access to two registry keys of the SQL server (i.e.:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server and MSSQLServer) otherwise a restore to the default directory and the "Automate Master Database" restore for SQL will not complete.