Restore job selection list returns an error "Unable to create selection list" when more than 100 items are selected individually.
Unable to update the restore items.
The job cannot be submitted because the number of selections exceeds the maximum amount allowed by Backup Exec
If the backup Selection List contains more than 100 individually selected items (around 200KB), the size of the selection list grows when it contains many files with long paths and metadata. This will cause the error "Unable to update the restore items. The job cannot be submitted because the number of selections exceeds the maximum amount allowed by Backup Exec" to be seen.
- Create multiple jobs with smaller selection lists.
- Change the Value of HKLM\Software\Symantec\Backup Exec for Windows\Backup Exec\Server = MaxRpcDatablockSize to 5242880 to disable the selection list limit.
Warning: Incorrect use of the Windows registry editor may prevent the operating system from functioning properly. Great care should be taken when making changes to a Windows registry. Registry modifications should only be carried-out by persons experienced in the use of the registry editor application. It is recommended that a complete backup of the registry and workstation be made prior to making any registry changes.
- Open the Registry Editor (Click Start > Run > type regedt32) on the Media Server.
- Browse to the following path:
- HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Symantec\Backup Exec for Windows\Backup Exec\Server
- Create a new DWORD Value named MaxRpcDatablockSize
- Change the Decimal value of the MaxRpcDatablockSize to 5242880
- Create a new DWORD Value named MaxRpcSize.
- Change the Decimal Value of MaxRpcSize to 5242880
- Restart all Backup Exec Services.