When a custodian receives a Legal Hold notice to confirm compliance and clicks on the green Go to Confirmation button within the Legal Hold notice, the custodian is taken to the eDiscovery Confirmation server whereby prompted with a Unable to Load Hold Forbidden error. At this point the only option for the Custodian is to click the OK button which destroys the connection.
This can occur in an environment where the Confirmation server and Admin server are the same server or when the Confirmation server is setup as a standalone server. The methods to resolve the issue in each environment mentioned are different.
Unable to load hold
The Legal Hold module license is not applied to the eDiscovery server in a Single Serve Setup or there has been a standard license applied to a standalone Confirmation server that overwrote the default license. A standalone Confirmation server does not require any additional licenses to be installed.
To correct the issue, each environment listed below contains the steps for how to resolve the error.
Clearwell / Confirmation server
- Log into the eDiscovery interface with an account that has SYSTEM access.
- Click on SYSTEM > LICENSE
- Confirm the a Legal Hold license is listed.
- If the Legal Hold license is not listed, skip to step 9.
- Log into the eDiscovery server and open the license folder from where eDiscovery is installed (D:\CW\VXXX\license).
- Move the current folder (D:\CW\VXXX\license\current) to a different location (such as the Desktop).
- Create a new current folder after moving the original folder.
- Open a command prompt in the D:\CW\VXXX folder and run the command 'b clean-license'.
- Open the Clearwell Utility on the eDiscovery server desktop and select option "7. Build Incremental Configuration Changes". Type 'Y' to stop the services when prompted.
- Apply all licenses using the SLF files in the copy of the current folder created in step 6 to the Clearwell (CW) server(s) by clicking on UPDATE LICENSE and selecting the SLF option to browse to the file(s).
Standalone Confirmation server
- Open the Clearwell Utility on the desktop of the Confirmation server and select option "3. Stop All Clearwell Service".
- On the Confirmation server, open a command prompt in the D:\CW\VXXX folder and run the command 'b clean-license'.
- Open the Clearwell Utility on the Confirmation server desktop and select option "7. Build Incremental Configuration Changes". Type 'Y' to stop the services when prompted.
- Download the Confirmation server XML license file that is attached to this article
- Open the XML license file and copy the contents into a text editor, such as NotePad.exe.
- Log into the eDiscovery interface on the Confirmation server with an account that has SYSTEM access
- Click on SYSTEM > LICENSE > UPDATE LICENSE
- Select the option 'Copy and paste from license.txt' and click Next
- Paste the contents of the XML license file from step 5 into the screen and click Next
- Click Next again
- Click Finish
- Open the Clearwell Utility on the desktop of the Confirmation server and select option "4. Start All Clearwell Services".