Backup of a remote server from an SBS (Small Business Server) 2011 media server fails with 0xe000fe30- A communications failure has occured.
Event viewer logs from the media server from the time of the failed backup show:
Log Name: Application
Date: 7/24/2012 2:11:54 PM
Event ID: 8230
Task Category: None
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Failed resolving account spsearch with status 1376. Check connection to domain controller and VssAccessControl registry key.
Error: NetLocalGroupGetMemebers(spsearch), 0x80070560, The specified local group does not exist.
If SBS 2011 is running SharePoint Service Pack 1, then the "psconfig" command has to be run in order to fix SharePoint and backups.
- Warning: Incorrect use of the Windows registry editor may prevent the operating system from functioning properly. Great care should be taken when making changes to a Windows registry. Registry modifications should only be carried-out by persons experienced in the use of the registry editor application. It is recommended that a complete backup of the registry and workstation be made prior to making any registry changes.
In the following registry key on the media server:
"spsearch" user account will show which is created by SharePoint and which doesn't have certain permissions for VSS writers. This is the reason backups fail.
1. Open an Administrative command prompt on the Backup Exec Media Server.
2. Change directory to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\BIN
3. Run PSConfig.exe -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -force -cmd applicationcontent -install -cmd installfeatures
4. Retry the backup. If the backup continues to fail, please review the following Microsoft Article:
You May Get VSS Warnings in the Application Event Log of SBS 2011 Standard
The media server is running Windows SBS 2011. This is where Backup Exec 2012 is installed.
The remote server is running Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard