Windows Small Business Server 2011 backup using Backup Exec 2012 fails with VSS Snapshot error: "Unexpected provider error"
Backup Job Log shows:-
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0x8004230f - 0x8004230f (2147754767)
Final error category: Other Errors
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-32772-8975
Backup- <Servername> - Snapshot Technology: Initialization failure on: "\\Servername\System?State". Snapshot technology used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
V-79-10000-11226 - VSS Snapshot error. The Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot technology selected returned: "Unexpected provider error". Ensure that all provider services are enabled and can be started. Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.
Windows Event Log shows:-
Log Name: Application
Event ID: 8230
Task Category: None
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Failed resolving account spsearch with status 1376. Check connection to domain controller and VssAccessControl registry key.
Executing Asynchronous Operation
Current State: DoSnapshotSet
Error: NetLocalGroupGetMemebers(spsearch), 0x80070560, The specified local group does not exist.
BERemote log on media server shows:-
 2012-06-26T23:17:39.687 [besc] - QueryStatus() returned a failure in the param VSS_E_UNEXPECTED_PROVIDER_ERROR
 2012-06-26T23:17:39.687 [besc] - EXIT BESC::VssAsync::WaitUntilDone() return=[0x8004230f VSS_E_UNEXPECTED_PROVIDER_ERROR]
 2012-06-26T23:17:39.687 [besc] - VssSnashotVolume::DoSnapshotSet() - Wait is done...
 2012-06-26T23:17:39.688 [besc] - EXIT VssSnapshotVolume::DoSnapshotSet() return=[0x8004230f VSS_E_UNEXPECTED_PROVIDER_ERROR]
 2012-06-26T23:17:39.688 [besc] - VssSnashotVolume::SnapVolumeSet() - done. LastError_: 0x8004230f
 2012-06-26T23:17:39.688 [besc] - EXIT VssSnapshotVolume::SnapVolumeSet() return=[0x8004230f VSS_E_UNEXPECTED_PROVIDER_ERROR]
 2012-06-26T23:17:39.688 [besc] - Error SnapshotBackupEngine::snap_file_systems failed.
 2012-06-26T23:17:39.688 [ndmp\ndmpsrvr] - ndmpdSnapshotPrepare2: Snapshot error. ErrorCode: 0x8004230f ErrorLevel: 2 Error Src: 2
 2012-06-26T23:17:39.688 [ndmp\ndmpsrvr] - ndmpdSnapshotPrepare2: sending reply...
 2012-06-26T23:17:39.999 [besc] - VSS AbortBackup called successfully
Also, System Writers and few other writers will fail after running Backup Exec backup job.
This issue occurs after installing service pack 1 for SharePoint 2010. Windows event log refers to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\VSS\VssAccessControl registry key. After installing SharePoint 2010 SP1, two new user accounts are created.
1.<Domain>\spsearch = dword:00000001
2.<Domain>\spfarm = dword:00000001
Ideally, there should be just one account "NT Authority\NetworkService".
Note: Please do not delete these accounts as Microsoft has added them for some reason.
- SharePoint 2010 databases need to be upgraded after installing service pack 1. Please follow these steps:
- Open an Administrative command prompt.
- Change directory to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\BIN
- Run PSConfig.exe -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -force -cmd applicationcontent -install -cmd installfeatures
It will take some time to upgrade databases. Please refer to Microsoft blog for more information:
- Reboot the server and re-try backup job.
- In case backup job and VSS writers still fail, follow these steps:
- Add the backup account in the following registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VSS\VssAccessControl Note: Right click on VSSAccessControl->Permissions. Add backup account there and give it FULL control. Also, make sure Administrators group is owwner of this key.
- Open a command prompt and type the command "Vssadmin list Shadows"
- If a snapshot exists, it will be listed. Before attempting to delete the snapshot make a note of the time at which it was taken. This will help to determine if the orphaned snapshot was created during or outside a backup. If the snapshot was created outside a backup, check for scripts or application that could have created it (for example some applications take snapshots by creating Scheduled Windows tasks).
- Make a note of the ShadowId and use command "Vssadmin delete shadows /Shadow=<ShadowId>" to delete it.
- Reboot the server and re-try backup job.
- Please contact Microsoft in case backup still fails.
Windows Small Business Server 2011
Backup Exec 2012