After running a Exchange backup with Granular Recovery (GRT) enabled to an RDX (or similar technology) device, the following Meta Data Index Catalog job fails with the error provided below. Running the same backup job with eject media at end of job disabled allows the catalog operation to complete successfully.
English version: 0xe0009418 - Access to this device is not authorized with this edition of Backup Exec
The Backup Exec 2012 performance enhancement that changes the Exchange GRT catalog operation to run as a separate job requires the RDX media to be available and the eject option takes place before the catalog job runs and causes the problem.
Choose from one of the following workarounds:
1) For Exchange GRT backup jobs, disable the option to eject the media at the end of the job
2) Modify the registry to revert catalog operation for Exchange to the legacy method as follows:
Warning: Incorrect use of the Windows registry editor may prevent the operating system from functioning properly. Great care should be taken when making changes to a Windows registry. Registry modifications should only be carried-out by persons experienced in the use of the registry editor application. It is recommended that a complete backup of the registry and workstation be made prior to making any registry changes.
- On the media Server, use regedit to locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Backup
- Create / Modify a DWORD value called Disable Delayed Cataloging
- Set the data value to 1
- Restart the Backup Exec services.