June 15, 2012: Updated to reflect availability of a version containing issue resolution
# bpexpdate -recalculate [-backupid backup_id] [-copy number] [-d date | 0 | infinity] [-client name] [-policy name] [-ret retention_level] [-sched type] [-M master_server,...]
The -recalculate command line switch of bpexpdate can be used to recalculate the expiration date of backup images. Additional options can be used to specify how the new expiration date is calculated and which backup images are processed. The new expiration date is calculated as follows:
- If the -d option is used to specify a new expiration date, it is used.
- If -d is not specified but the -ret option is used, the new expiration date is the backup's creation date plus the specified retention level.
- If neither -d nor -ret is specified, the retention level for each backup image is compared to the current retention level configured in its policy. If they differ, the expiration date of the backup should be updated to its creation date plus the policy retention level.
Due to a recently discovered defect, the implementation of the third case fails to behave as intended, resulting in an incorrect expiration date applied to affected images. In some cases, this also results in early expiration of those images.
The formal resolution for this issue (Etrack 2780187) is included in the following release:
- NetBackup 7.5 Maintenance Release 3 (184.108.40.206)
Information on NetBackup 220.127.116.11 is available in the Related Article linked below.
This issue can be avoided by assuring that any command line bpexpdate -recalculate commands include one of the following additional command line switches: -d, -ret.
Symantec strongly recommends the following best practices:
1. Always perform a full DR backup prior to making any changes to your environment.
2. Always make sure that your environment is running the latest version and patch level.
3. Perform periodic "test" restores.
4. Subscribe to technical articles.
How to Subscribe to Email Notification:
Directly to this Article:
Subscribe to this article by clicking on the Subscribe via email link on this page to receive notification when this article is updated with Release Information.
If you have not received information about this TechNote from the Symantec Email Notification Service as a Software Alert, you may subscribe via email and/or RSS using the links provided at the following page:
The following versions of NetBackup are affected:
- NetBackup 7.5
- NetBackup 18.104.22.168
This only affects bpexpdate -recalculate run from the command line. This issue will not be experienced when running a NetBackup GUI.