1) NDMP backup fails with authentication error after changing the password for N8300 5.7 Clustered NAS Storage System hard appliance.
2) Attempt to readd NDMP storage from backup exec, fails with authentication error.
Final error: 0xe000fe29 - Authentication failed on connection to the server. Make sure that the user account has the appropriate permissions and that the password was typed correctly. Final error category: Security Errors For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65065
After the password was changed on Clustered NAS Storage it was unable to replicated on other nodes.
Ndmp_passwd file which has no encrypted password on node where the backup service is online to authenticate the communication b/w Backup Exec and appliance.
1) Delete and try to recreate NDMP storage from Backup Exec (if receiving authentication error please follow the next steps)
Note: Following steps should be performed only with Symantec File Store Engineer
2) Start the debug on NDMP server as follows,
3) Try to add the NDMP storage from Backup Exec. The debug out put may list as not connection or authentication error
4) It creates log file in,
5) Following what is been found in the NDMP debug log,
MM/DD/YY 09:52:58.951 (PID=1160 util.c:668) DEBUG: Args - /usr/bin/gpg --no-tty --batch --passphrase-fd 3 --decrypt /opt/VRTSnasgw/conf/ndmp_passwd
MM/DD/YY 09:52:58.982 (PID=1160 util.c:738) ERROR: /usr/bin/gpg exited with a non-zero status: 2.
MM/DD/YY 09:52:58.982 (PID=1160 connect.c:254) ERROR: ndmpdGetCred: Unable to decrypt the password database
6) The above shows that the issue is with ndmp_passwd file which has no encrypted password on node where the backup service is online to authenticate the communication b/w Backup exec and appliance.
7) Following command to check if the encrypted password file and file has a contents on other node (only if in the first node file is not present)
ls -lrta /opt/VRTSnasgw/conf/ndmp_passwd (To check if the ndmp_passwd file is present)
cat /opt/VRTSnasgw/conf/ndmp_passwd (To check if the file has contents)
8) If file is present on other node then use scp to copy from one node to the other (or fail over cluster & reboot of passive node which does not contain the file can fix the issue)
9) Add the NDMP storage from Backup Exec and try to access the NDMP resources from favorite resources in the Backup selections list.
10) If NDMP server added successfully run a backup job to verify no authentication error is being received.
Storage application/Media server application: Backup Exec 2010 and above
Hardware: Symantec N8300 5.7 Clustered NAS Storage System
Software: Symantec File Store 5.6/5.7