Cumulative Client Hotfix - Symantec Enterprise Vault for Microsoft Exchange 9.0.3 Build 1243
Description of problems
1. After a large PST is imported into an archive, Vault Cache synchronizations may not complete and Outlook may not be responsive for the end user.
2. Under certain conditions, it is possible for duplicate entries to be created in the Vault Cache. If this happens then Vault Cache synchronizations will fail and the client log will report that a folder contains more than one item with the same SNUM or SSID.
3. If Enterprise Vault is configured to use an SSL connection for the Web Access application, the Enterprise Vault Outlook client is unable to connect to the Enterprise Vault server.
4. In certain situations, end-users may experience repeated crashes of SearchProtocolHost.exe.
5. When Vault Cache performs a scheduled background synchronization, a user is not informed if an unexpected problem is encountered. Instead, the user has to visit the Vault Cache properties page to check the synchronization status.
6. If the Vault Cache data file (DatabaseList.ini) is locked by another process, in certain conditions the client could corrupt the file's contents if it later became unlocked. If this happens then Vault Cache synchronizations will fail.
7. Under some circumstances, the Enterprise Vault Outlook Add-in allows the deletion of a delegated mailbox's protected Special Folders (e.g., Inbox, Sent Items, etc.).
8. If Vault Cache synchronization is suspended, it cannot be resumed after restarting Outlook.
Description of solutions
1. Two new Enterprise Vault Client registry values have been introduced which, if set, will improve the performance of an incremental download of the Vault content cache, particularly when there are a large number of items to download, e.g. after importing a large PST into the archive.
The registry keys are as follows:
0 — (Default) Disable chunking in content cache item downloads. This value is assumed if the setting does not exist.
Integer — Enable chunking in content cache item downloads. The value specifies the number of items per chunk.
0 — (Default) Check if items to download already exist in the main store (StoreIdMap.xml). This value is assumed if the setting does not exist.
1 — Do not check whether items to download already exist in the main store (StoreIdMap.xml).
NOTE: OVDisableCCMainStoreCheck should only be set to 1 temporarily to improve the performance of a Vault Cache synchronization when a large number of items need to be downloaded from the Enterprise Vault server (eg. after a large PST import). Once a synchronization has completed and the number of items to download returns to a normal level, this registry key should be set to 0 or removed. This can occur on Server Side migrations when importing large amounts of data. Client Side migrations are not affected.
2. The Vault Cache synchronization will no longer fail when duplicate SSID/SNUM values exist. The duplicate items will be removed from the Vault Cache, allowing the synchronization to continue.
3. The Outlook client is now able to connect when Enterprise Vault has been configured to use an SSL connection for the Web Access application.
4. End-users should no longer experience crashes of SearchProtocolHost.exe.
5. A new Enterprise Vault Client registry value has been introduced which, if set, will display a balloon notification message from the taskbar's status area if Vault Cache encounters an unexpected synchronization error.
For more information regarding the Balloon functionality, please refer to this technote: 000085181
The registry key is:
0 — (Default) No balloon notifications are displayed by the Enterprise Vault Outlook Add-In.
1 — A balloon notification message will be displayed if Vault Cache encounters an unexpected synchronization error.
6. Vault Cache now obtains exclusive access on DatabaseList.ini for the lifetime of the Outlook session. Additionally, if Vault Cache encounters a DatabaseList.ini file that had previously become corrupt, it attempts to fix the file's contents.
7. The Enterprise Vault Outlook Add-in now correctly detects when an Outlook Special folder is selected in a delegated mailbox, and does not allow deletion.
Note: If an RSS Feeds folder exists within a mailbox and contains Enterprise Vault shortcuts, it is possible to delete the folder. This issue is not addressed by this hotfix.
Note: When implementing this hotfix when the PSTDisableGrow registry setting is in place, it is important to make sure that the PSTDisableGrowAllowAuthenticodeOverrides setting is also in place, as per http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH156088.
8. If Vault Cache synchronization is suspended, it will now be possible to resume synchronization after restarting Outlook.
Symantec Enterprise Vault Outlook Add-in-en.msi 184.108.40.2063
Symantec Enterprise Vault HTTP-Only Outlook Add-in-en.msi 220.127.116.113
Note: The Outlook Add-In is currently only provided in English.
1. Close Outlook.
2. Install the required Outlook Add-In, packaged in this hotfix, as per any regular MSI.
If a manual installation is being performed on a machine with User Account Control turned on, the installation should be launched from the Setup.exe file accompanying the MSI. Please refer to the Setting up users’ desktops section of the Setting up Exchange Server Archiving guide for full details on the use of Setup.exe.