A new installation or upgrade to Backup Exec 2012 Small Business edition in trial mode fails to install Virtual File Filter (VFF) after exiting trial mode and entering the license keys.
This issue occurs when Backup Exec 2012 is in evaluation mode and the Backup Exec 2012 Small Business Edition License keys are entered into the installation. On the Agents and options screen a Red X appear on the Agent for Application and Databases Figure 1. If the installation is continued components that are required for GRT backups (Exchange, SQL, Sharepoint) are removed. Exchange, SQL, and Sharepoint backup to disk jobs will start to fail with Virtual File Filter (VFF) drivers error.
Final error: 0xe0001201 - For this operation, the Backup Exec Virtual File Filter (VFF) driver must be installed on the Backup Exec server. The VFF driver is installed when you install any of the following Backup Exec agents or options:
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-4609
This Issue is now resolved with Backup Exec 2012 Service Pack 1 (TECH186717).
A) When upgrading or performing a new installation of Backup Exec 2012 enter the License keys. Do no install or upgrade in evaluation or trial mode. When the slf files are imported in Backup Exec the agent for application and databases will be greyed out but this would get activated Internally with the SBS License.
B) Uninstall and Reinstall Backup Exec 2012. When reinstalling Backup Exec 2012 enter the license keys during the installation.
1. Within Backup Exec, click the Backup Exec applet (yellow icon circle at the top left of Backup Exec UI) and select the menu "Installation and Licensing".
2. Choose the option "Install Options and Licenses on this Backup Exec Server"
3. On the new UI select "Next" where you can "add" and "import" serial numbers. Make a copy of the list with the serial numbers.
4. On the same screen, uncheck all of the options for the products installed. This will uninstall the licenses and place Backup Exec into trial mode.
5. Complete the process and Backup Exec services will be restarted. Verify that Backup Exec is now in "Trial Version"
6. After the licenses and products are successfully uninstalled go to the following folder and move the slf files to a temporary folder:
Windows 2003 - C:\Program Files\Common Files\ Symantec Shared\Licenses
Windows 2008 - C:\Program Data\Symantec Shared\Licenses
Once the files are moved to a safe location, delete all *.slf files within the folder on the path above.
7. Open Backup Exec 2012 and re-run the installation process again. Insert all the licenses (serial numbers beginning with M) again selecting all the options/agents for which the licenses have been keyed in following the Next prompts to re-license (do not import the saved slf files)
8. Backup Exec will complete the installation and restart the services.
NOTE: Before removing Backup Exec it is important to save out existing Backup Exec information (Jobs, Catalogs, Media Sets.) Stop the Backup Exec service including the SQL Service (BKUPEXE) and save X:\Program files\Symantec\Backup Exec\DATA and CATALOGS folder to a safe location. This information can be imported back into the Backup Exec installation so no jobs, catalogs, media information is lost.
Backup Exec 2012 Installed/Upgraded in Trial and then later licensed on Small Business Server 2011