Enterprise Vault databases not visible in backup selection list.
No error displayed other than the Enterprise Vault database option grayed out.
1. If only Enterprise Vault is installed then, on the EV server check the EV registry key for the EV version.
BE 2010 R2 and prior:
(for EV 32 bit versions) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Install\Version should list the correct version build number. Example. 18.104.22.1681.
(for EV 32 bit versions ) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Install\Kittype (Should read= Server).
(for EV 64 bits versions) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\wow6432node\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Install\Version should list the correct version build number. Example. 22.214.171.1241.
(for EV 64 bits versions) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\wow6432node\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Install\Kittype (Should read=server).
BE 2010 R3:
(EV 32 bits version) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Install\FullVersion should list the correct version build number. Example. 126.96.36.1991.
(EV 32 bits version) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Install\VaultServices (Should read=Installed).
(EV 64 bits version) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\wow6432node\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Install\FullVersion should list the correct version build number. Example. 188.8.131.521.
(EV 64 bits version) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\wow6432node\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Install\VaultServices. (should read= Installed).
2. Change the Key to the correct listing. EV support may need to be contacted to ensure the correct setting is used. Then restart the BE Remote Agent.
3. If the discovery accelerator is installed in the EV then,
(EV 64 bits version) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\wow6432node\KVS\Compliance Acceletator\Install\InstallPath
Enable Publishing for remote agent on the Enterprise Vault servers
- Check if the license for Enterprise vault is installed on media server
- Check if Remote agent is installed on all the enterprise vault server nodes.
- On the Enterprise vault server
Go to Start >> All Programs >> Symantec Backup Exec for windows servers >> Remote agent Utility
- Click on the Publishing tab and check if the publishing check box is unchecked.
- If the check box is unchecked click on the change settings button and check the publishing check box.
- Validate the media server name.
- Restart the remote agent service on the enterprise vault server.
- After publishing is enabled, all the Enterprise vault components will be listed in remote agent utility .
Now the enterprise vault selections should be visible in the selection list on the Backup exec server.
- The Enterprise Vault Agent License has been properly installed; if it has been, there will be a resource named Enterprise Vault at the bottom of the selection list.
- An Enterprise Vault Server is available and a Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers (RAWS has been installed on it.
If both of the above are true, refer to the Software Compatibility List using the link provided below to identify the minimum supported version of Enterprise Vault. Next, open the Enterprise Vault Console and confirm the version. If the version identified is not the minimum supported version, Enterprise Vault will need to be upgraded before Backup Exec will be able to provide backup support.
In a Backup Exec Selection List, a properly licensed media server will show an Enterprise Vault Resource; however, if the installed version of Enterprise Vault is not supported, the only symptom will be that the resource may be unpopulated and thus not expandable. To confirm this perform the following steps on the Enterprise Vault Server
- Go to Start > Run, enter cmd and click OK to open a command window.
- Change folders to \Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\RAWS.
At the command line, type the following and press Enter: beremote -console
This will start the Backup Exec Remote Agent in console mode and will generate several screens full of setup information as the agent is started. Look through this verbiage for the following single-line entry, towards the end of the generated content:
This version of Enterprise Vault is not supported.
This confirms that Enterprise Vault has been detected but the version is unsupported. Upgrading Enterprise Vault to at least the minimum supported version is required before any Enterprise Vault Resources can be backed up.
- Remove and re-add the Enterprise Vault License for Backup Exec.
- Restart the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers (RAWS) service on the EV server.
- If "EVBACKUP.XML" is already present rename the "EVBACKUP.XML" file on the EV server to EVBACKUP.OLD' and restart the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers (RAWS) service on the EV server. Check to ensure that the file is generated in the proper location. Refer to step 4 if the EVBACKUP.XML is not generated.
Run the following command from the command prompt on the Vault Server: "sc control EnterpriseVaultAdminService 136".
- If the Compliance or discovery accelerator components are installed in the EV server the files generated will be BACKUP.XML. To regenerate this file if missing run the command "sc control acceleratormanager 135" from the command prompt on the Vault Server.
- The EV server resources are reported to the server using port 6101 (Backup Exec agent browser) so there must be communication to this port from the remote server.
- Check that the EV resources reported to the server are listed in the "NRDSagent" table in the BEDB database.
Note: If EVBACKUP.XML or BACKUP.XML (if Applicable) is not generated by running the sc control command, please contact Enterprise Vault Technical Support to create a case for further troubleshooting.