When upgrading to Backup Exec 2010 R3 or during fresh install the installation fails with the error as seen in Figure 1.
Backup Exec install fails, Fatal Error: Error 1406. Could not write value AdammLocal to key \Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Server. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.
This issue occurs while installing due to insufficient permissions in the registry for the account being used for the install or the upgrade.
To resolve this issue, perform the following steps:
1. Go to Start > Run and type REGEDT32.EXE
Warning: Incorrect use of the Windows registry editor may prevent the operating system from functioning properly. Great care should be taken when making changes to a Windows registry. Registry modifications should only be carried-out by persons experienced in the use of the registry editor application. It is recommended that a complete backup of the registry and workstation be made prior to making any registry changes.
2. Browse to
HKLM|Software|Symantec|Backup Exec for Windows Server|Backup Exec|13.0
3. Right click on the key 13.0 and select Permissions.
4. Ensure the following accounts are listed with full control:
5. If the above permissions are already assigned but the issue still occurs, perform the following:
Create a DWORD AdammLocal at HKLM|Software|Symantec|Backup Exec for Windows Server|Backup Exec|Server and set it to 0 (zero)
6. Select "Retry" on the error being prompted on the installation screen or reinitiate the installation.