The error message is encountered when attempting to browse Exchange 2010 Database Availability Group (DAG) backup images from one of the Exchange Client Access Servers.
ERROR: client is not validated to perform the requested operation.
By default, NetBackup permits only the client that backed up the files to restore those files. NetBackup ensures that the client name of the requesting client matches the peer name that was used to connect to the NetBackup server.
1) Browse images from the master server, which is not subject to this restriction
2) The restriction can be removed by adding the following touch file on the NetBackup master server:
Windows platform: <install path>\Veritas\NetBackup\db\altnames\No.Restrictions
UNIX platform: /usr/openv/netbackup/db/altnames/No.Restrictions
Please Take Note:
- The altnames directory with No.Restrictions can present a breach of security, so use it only in limited circumstances for a limited time. Users that are permitted to restore files from other clients may also have local permission to create the files that are found in the backup.
- Windows only: The above path may not apply if NetBackup is installed in a non standard location. To determine the location of the install, check the value of the following registry key
For further details on the use of the No.Restrictions file, see the "Allowing all clients to perform redirected restores" section of the Symantec NetBackup Administrator's Guide, Volume I, linked in the 'Related Articles' section below.
3) (Recommended) Add the altnames\peernames file on the Master server. Add a peername file for every node of the DAG. Edit the content of each to include the name of the DAG. For more details, search on "Allowing redirected restores" in the Symantec NetBackup Administrator's Guide, Volume I, linked in the 'Related Articles' section below.