When restoring SharePoint 2010 farm in a disaster recovery environment, the NetBackup administrator is always faced with a question of what are the minimum installation and configuration requirements and detailed procedures to guarantee a successful disaster recovery without using NetBackup Bare Metal Restore (BMR) feature.
Follow the following restore procedures:
1. Install the same version of the following software as the original hosts to the destination hosts in the DR SharePoint farm.
SharePoint 2010 Foundation server
Service packs and patches
2. Configure the destination host the same as the original host. This includes configuring the same host names of the clients in the farm, OS domain users and make sure that the SQL server data folder path is the same path (drive letters and folder names are the same) as the production SQL server.
Note: Failure to follow this step will result in restore and recovery failures typically with exit status codes 2804 or 5. The restore may also be successful but the site may not be accessible and viewable when browsing the Web site.
3. Create a new farm configuration and SharePoint Central content databases by using the SP 2010 PRODUCT and FARM configuration Wizards.
Note: The FARM configuration wizard will allow you to create the Shared Services Applications (SSA). If you do not run the FARM configuration wizard immediately after the PRODUCT wizard is done, the result is not all your Shared Services Applications will be shown in the SP central administrator GUI via Manage services even though the SSA databases were restored and recoverred successfully.
4. Configure the NetBackup master server that has the backup images from the original host as the master server for the destination host.
5. Configure the SharePoint servers in the farm. Follow the NetBackup SharePoint DB agent configuration procedures from the related tech article: TECH146218 below.
6. Launch the internet browser to verify connections and access to the SP central administration GUI. You should be able to use the same NetBackup SP administrator account to login.
7. Launch the NetBackup BAR GUI from the front end web server to see if the Microsoft SharePoint Resources:\ objects are visible. If it is not visible, check the NetBackup SP db agent configuration and follow the proper troubleshooting procedure.
Note: If you are not able to view the Microsoft SharePoint Resources:\ objects and continue with the restore without fixing the issue, the restore jobs will fail and there are connection/communication errors shown in the FEWS NetBackup BEDS log.
8. Launch the NetBackup BAR GUI from the FEWS or from the master server and restore the components of the SharePoint Server in the following order making sure that the objects being restored are selected from the Contents pane:
Web application database(s)
Services (State Service database, metadata, and State Service Proxy)
Shared Services databases and metadata
Shared Services Proxies
SharePoint Foundation Help Search (WSS_Search)
InfoPath Forms Services(Metadata)
Note: There should be no need to restore the original Farm configuration database (SharePoint_Config) and the SP Central content database (WSS Administrator Web application), as the Web Applications and their sites are now restored. Original Farm configuration and SP Central content database restores are optional.
9. Restart all SP and SQL services on the SP and SQL servers including the IIS service.
Note: If you do not restart the above services, the Web site may not come up properly since the links may not have been read properly by the SharePoint server applications.
10. Browse the Web app sites via the SharePoint Central administration GUI, IIS or the NetBackup BAR GUI (Select for Backup) to verify that the restored web app sites are accessible and were restored properly.
Three (3) tier SharePoint 2010 farm environment: (Front End Web server, Application Server, and SQL server)
OS: Windows 2008 R2 64 bit
SharePoint 2010 Foundation server
SQL 2008 R2 64 bit
NetBackup SharePoint DB agent version 7.0.1